• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

84 Les Paul Custom Adjustment Question

Redwine

So I just recently acquired a 1984 Les Paul custom from its original owner, an older gentleman who bought it new and hardly played it and it stayed under his bed the last 34 years. Still had the original strings on it. It is in need of a truss rod adjustment, and just by a small turn, it was very tight. My question is there any method or way to make this easier and less risky? Worried that it not having an adjustment in 30 some odd years may do more harm than good if it is over done. Thanks in advance!

rick c

I'm assuming that the neck is bowed forward a little. Take the strings off, loosen the nut a lot and then tighten it back up again in steps and check to ensure that the neck is responding. Just because the thing hasn't been used for years doesn't mean the truss rod will be negatively affected.