• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The fire still burns...'56 Strat

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Even after all these years, sometimes our primal passions still overcome any rational considerations--like retirement, college tuition, etc. My best friend has (finally!) decided to get his bad self a well-deserved 1924 Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5, and is raising the Big Green. Of course, I just wanted to help! Sooo...I made my contribution to the cause, and gave this little piece of Heaven a good home:

https://richrussell.smugmug.com/1956-Fender-Stratocaster/

Friends, in Stratlandia, there is NOTHING that can touch an all-original, 100%, maple neck, Ash body, Bakelitely piece of Fullerton Poundcake--enjoy! :spabout

hogy

Friends, in Stratlandia, there is NOTHING that can touch an all-original, 100%, maple neck, Ash body, Bakelitely piece of Fullerton Poundcake--enjoy! :spabout

That's an alder body, as it should be by 8/56.

Rich R

No, it's Ash, just look at the grain--it's easy to recognize. There are even some early '57s that have ash bodies.

hogy

No, it's Ash, just look at the grain--it's easy to recognize. There are even some early '57s that have ash bodies.

It absolutely, positively is alder. I'd bet my own '56 Strat on it.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Hogy's right. Killer 56! My favorite Fender neck!:yah

Tarcisioo

Well, of course ash is a beautiful wood for strats, but Brownie was alder, so I would take alder anyways!

Killer guitar, specially for the hardtail. That's my dream guitar and I would choose to own one like her than, let's say, a burst if prices didn't matter in this world :laugh2:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Beautiful Alder strat.

Dwight Yoakam's best recordings featuring signature Tele tone were all done by Pete Anderson using a hardtail strat!!!

jb_abides

A 'Wise Elder' in repose! :salude

i-8ndWmnc-X4.jpg

jrgtr42

Very cool...
though honestly, I wouldn't mid seeing pics of the Loar your friend is adopting.

blauserk

i-g6dLptD-XL.jpg

Nice! It has one of the telltales for late 1956 Strats--the worm route in the bridge pickup route "turns the corner" into the route up the middle between the pickups. I've seen that in a bunch of guitars of this era. (I have a Strat with 9/56 body and 10/56 neck.)

Rich R

It absolutely, positively is alder. I'd bet my own '56 Strat on it.

You're right, my mistake. It's strangely grainy for Alder. Anyhoo, just wanted to update: Like I said, I bought it in a package from my friend, but it's now been several months, and much A/Bing and shootouts have taken place. I can honestly say this is the best sounding/playing vintage Strat I've ever come across, to the point where I've been selling off many of my others. I just can't see playing them over this one--I will never, ever, part with this one.

My vintage journey actually started w a blonde '58 I got when I was eighteen, and I completely bonded with it. I was going to take it to my grave (that's when they cost $300-400...)Very sadly, it was stolen three years later, and I'm not sure I've ever gotten over that loss. Since then, I've been fortunate to have owned many incredible classic electric guitars, but with this one, I feel like I've finally come home. In fact, writing that just now, it's name just came to me:
Journey's End. :salude