• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAMM 2020 & Historics For 2020

Mr. Legit

Anybody have any insider information as to what Gibson is going to reveal at NAMM this year other than the relaunch of the ES line?

GotTheSilver

I'd also be interested in hearing anything anyone knows, although I doubt anything is publicly known yet. I think Gibson tends to keep things pretty well under wraps until NAMM starts.

I am considering a new LP purchase in probably a few months, probably around the time the 2020s are hitting the stores. I'd be perfectly happy with the same specs as the 2019 60th Anniversary guitars, but am interested in seeing if there will be any spec changes or new series similar to the CCs or Artist Series. The main thing for me is that I hope the prices do not increase!

Mr. Legit

A dealer I spoke with said no 1960 60th Anniversary Les Pauls next year, but that was a couple months ago. I think upgraded and updated vintage correct parts are on the list again. Gibson is really hitting it out of the park.

CatManDoo88

Anybody have any insider information as to what Gibson is going to reveal at NAMM this year other than the relaunch of the ES line?

Has there been any word on the ES line relaunch yet? I really hope we start getting some Historic ES models again soon. I would love for them to replace the '63 ES-335 reissue with a '64 ES-335 reissue instead. Aside from being the Clapton ES-335, everything I have read suggests there was something extra special about the 1964 ES-335s. The neck profile was supposedly perfect.

Mr. Legit

Has there been any word on the ES line relaunch yet? I really hope we start getting some Historic ES models again soon. I would love for them to replace the '63 ES-335 reissue with a '64 ES-335 reissue instead. Aside from being the Clapton ES-335, everything I have read suggests there was something extra special about the 1964 ES-335s. The neck profile was supposedly perfect.

I have been trying to order a lefty ES335 the whole year to no avail. Any Historic level 335 or hollow body you see in 2019 is leftover from the Memphis plant before they shut down and were then completed in Nashville. I have been going to NAMM for the past 4 years and I have been informed that special things are to come including the relaunch for 2020. Last I checked, the M2M program through Gibson can build just about every year ES335 you want. I am too looking for a lefty '64 ES335 too or a ES345, but I got the impression that the new powers at Gibson are really listening this time.

GotTheSilver

I own a vintage 1964 ES-335. It has an absolutely perfect neck profile for my liking! I've never played another neck like it.

GotTheSilver

My big question about the historic Les Pauls is whether there were some changes that the new management just did not have time to implement before the release of the 2019s that will be in the 2020s.

pqs

My big question about the historic Les Pauls is whether there were some changes that the new management just did not have time to implement before the release of the 2019s that will be in the 2020s.

Good point. I have a hard time imagining what changes they can introduce, but I'm nevertheless legitimately curious about what they have up their sleeves. Apart from different finishes of course. BTW, regarding finishes, I hope we get some traditional finishes like Bourbon Burst without the faded stuff and/or the return of the amazing 2018 Vintage Cherry Sunburst. Granted factory burst gets close to vintage cherry, I think vintage cherry looks slightly better, like the love child of a factory burst and a traditional bourbon burst.

Mr. Legit

I got some new intel today that I can't share too much about, but it is killing me! However, I initially got information of a price hike, but was I glad to be wrong and so was my informant. I did get confirmation that there will indeed be 1960 60th Anniversary Les Pauls, and three versions to boot.

Last edited:

jb_abides

I got some new intel today that I can't share too much, but it is killing me! However, I did get confirmation that there will be 1960 60th Anniversary Les Pauls, and three versions to boot. Prices have also gone up for certain models by almost $1000 which is going to hurt some people. As far as individual specifications go, we just have to wait and see, NAMM is only a month away so those like me looking to buy better start saving just a little more.

While gathering good new, maybe scold them on lack of lefty 59 60th Anniversary. I've seen maybe 5...?

Hope we get good ES/CS too, although we probably will need to pay BuKu :salude

Mr. Legit

While gathering good new, maybe scold them on lack of lefty 59 60th Anniversary. I've seen maybe 5...?

Hope we get good ES/CS too, although we probably will need to pay BuKu :salude

As for lefty's, we always have to do a Custom Order, and I agree, and I feel many of the lefty guitars we get have tops that are all over the place too. I was told by my guy that there will most likely not be any lefty Custom Shops at NAMM this year again. Last year they didn't have any, but the Montana guys insisted they bring a few lefty acoustic guitars and that was it. How awesome would it be to finally see their whole range in lefties in one place.

Last edited:

jb_abides

I was pretty frustrated over the price increase as it affects me. I can only imagine how much the new Murphy line will cost. As for lefty's, we always have to do a Custom Order, and I agree, and I feel many of the lefty guitars we get have tops that are all over the place too. I was told by my guy that there will most likely not be any lefty Custom Shops at NAMM this year again. Last year they didn't have any, but the Montana guys insisted they bring a few lefty acoustic guitars and that was it. How awesome would it be to finally see their whole range in lefties in one place.

Good on the folks in Bozeman. They've done OK for us, but I still see some models lacking. Notable Advanced Jumbos, Songwriters.

Memphis ES line was better, Mike Voltz did a fair number of most. That was thrown off with the relocation. We'll see what happens next...

Custom Shop Reissues were way off game, IMHO. The 2003 'new golden era' then 2009-13 seemed best for southpaws... then the CC era followed by the CS / TH craziness left us in the lurch. I never saw a decent TH, although CME did a post-TH run with the Mostly-TH specs with a few lefties, and I got a good one.

2018-9 under HJ looked promising for USAs, but we've been forgotten about in the re-launch for the most part.

And I've already bemoaned the available 59 60ths... they were really disappointing.

You are right, the tops are all over the place! I've seen better tops on USA Standards / Traditionals than what comes out of the CS. And I am not expecting super monster / lawyer / doctor tops aka PRS. I much prefer a vintage looking top, but come on! Not these duds.

Mr. Legit

Good on the folks in Bozeman. They've done OK for us, but I still see some models lacking. Notable Advanced Jumbos, Songwriters.

Memphis ES line was better, Mike Voltz did a fair number of most. That was thrown off with the relocation. We'll see what happens next...

Custom Shop Reissues were way off game, IMHO. The 2003 'new golden era' then 2009-13 seemed best for southpaws... then the CC era followed by the CS / TH craziness left us in the lurch. I never saw a decent TH, although CME did a post-TH run with the Mostly-TH specs with a few lefties, and I got a good one.

2018-9 under HJ looked promising for USAs, but we've been forgotten about in the re-launch for the most part.

And I've already bemoaned the available 59 60ths... they were really disappointing.

You are right, the tops are all over the place! I've seen better tops on USA Standards / Traditionals than what comes out of the CS. And I am not expecting super monster / lawyer / doctor tops aka PRS. I much prefer a vintage looking top, but come on! Not these duds.

Agreed, I did hear on the acoustic end some very special J45's and Advanced Jumbos will make a return with the Redline cases. This could mean a return of these guitars in forms similar to the Legend series.

GotTheSilver

I got some new intel today that I can't share too much about, but it is killing me! However, I did get confirmation that there will indeed be 1960 60th Anniversary Les Pauls, and three versions to boot. Prices have also gone up for certain models by almost $1000 which is going to hurt some people. As far as individual specifications go, we just have to wait and see, NAMM is only a month away so those like me looking to buy better start saving just a little more.

Do you know if the price increase applies to the R9s? I have been wanting to buy a new R9 once I get settled into my new job in the new year, but if the price is going to increase by $1k, F that!!! (feel free to private message me if you don't want to speak publicly)

Mr. Legit

Do you know if the price increase applies to the R9s? I have been wanting to buy a new R9 once I get settled into my new job in the new year, but if the price is going to increase by $1k, F that!!! (feel free to private message me if you don't want to speak publicly)

I don't know specifically about the 1959 Reissues, but I the prices I have learned will remain around the same. However, if you speak to the right dealers you can always get a better price than MAP.

Last edited:

Davidos

updated plastics? Hardware? nitro? anything like that?

The SGs got a price increase last year... raising them again?

Not sure how much higher they can go on the $6,499 MAP of the '59 and '60 LP.... The tried to jack the prices with the "True Historic" line a few years ago but that didn't work... I hope we are not in for that BS again but wouldn't surprise me...

The Murphy Lab guitars they will for sure jack up... $10 - $12k my guess basing it on Wildwood's murphy prices...

They announced a '63 SG Custom in white with a gold masetro at last years NAMM... The only one they made was the one displayed at NAMM last year! Tried to order one to no avail... Sweetwater had one listed but it never came in.

They will stick to their bread and butter... cranking out Les Pauls and the occasional SG.... I can see the ES line getting jacked up price wise because they don't have Memphis anymore and those would be more costly to change the production line that mainly cranks out Les Pauls...

TM1

I’d like to see an all Hide Glue build acoustic like a Hummingbird and/or J-45. I have a 1963 J-50 and it’s a stellar guitar! You can see that they used Hide Glue on everything. It’s not sloppy inside but just a tiny bead of glue here and there..
I’d love a correctly built R-0 & a ‘64 ES-335 built with all Hide Glue, correct plastics, etc.