The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Thread: Gone Wireless

Les Paul Forum Member

Gone Wireless

I have not posted for a while because I have been consumed by this damn 60th anniversary 59. Ummm very happy with it.

So my local dealer told me it was time to grow up and go wireless. I spent quite a bit of time researching it and bought the Line 6 Relay G30 to see how I'd get along with it, all I can say is wow.

Apart from the freedom it gives you there is a marked difference in the sound too, I didn't think the posh Fender leads I was using were all that bad, but hey.

So has anyone else taken the plunge or am I the last one to get into this?

Re: Gone Wireless

I only needed it on the big festival stages as there was so much stage real estate to deal with. Otherwise, in clubs, bars, studio or rehearsal there was no need. I'm not particularly enamoured with the effect on tone/feel and frankly, I grew up a long time ago.

Bottom line for me, is it is useful on large stages, where my backline is quite a distance away from my stage postion and bandmates on opposite stage positions are 20 or more feet away. I rarely stay planted in front of my amp. Glad you're enjoying your new gear.
    The older I get, the better I was.

"Apart from the freedom it gives you there is a marked difference in the sound too, I didn't think the posh Fender leads I was using were all that bad, but hey."

Care to expand on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Les Paul Forum Member Grandturk's Avatar

I think wireless is the way of the future. In fact, it already is for most electronic devices. I think eventually it will be just audiophile elitists that insist on cables while everyone has moved to wireless. Probably another 5-10 years before bedroom guitarists all adopt it.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

I went wireless years ago... Line6 G55 and Sennheiser HDR180... tired of tripping over cords and watching others trample on and trip over my cords... never looked back...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Related...My understanding is that this tone difference between the cord and wireless is the basis for the original PRS "sweet switch". A circuit with line delay was designed to basically simulate the electronic characteristics of a relatively long cable.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Related...My understanding is that this tone difference between the cord and wireless is the basis for the original PRS "sweet switch". A circuit with line delay was designed to basically simulate the electronic characteristics of a relatively long cable.
    Line6 'cable tone' functionality is very similar to the PRS 'sweet switch' circuit and is close enough for me. But then again, I use a Kemper, so what do I know about tone?
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

I've tried a few wireless systems over the years because I'm a klutz and trip over the cable. I'm picky about my sound and haven't really liked any systems I've tried, but recently got a Line6 G50 and it sounds good. Only gigged it once, but I was happy with the and not having to worry about where my cable was.

I got one but am afraid to use it because I keep thinking it will start playing the calls I get through my phone in the middle of my set...

"BAYAYAYA BEE I gots the Bluuuuuuuze"

"Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft support and your computer is ruining the internet..."

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I got one but am afraid to use it because I keep thinking it will start playing the calls I get through my phone in the middle of my set...

"BAYAYAYA BEE I gots the Bluuuuuuuze"

"Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft support and your computer is ruining the internet..."
    That was the old days when I had a wireless setup and would get interference from CB's . I wish I could remember the name and company of the device , funny thing is I still have it home and in the original box as well . I wish I kept everything from the old days , like original packaging and parts and stuff like that . The wireless worked okay and eventually I went back to the cord as it was cleaner . There is some kind of loss of tone that I don't care for , and if it weren't for the loss of tone I would hook up a million pedals in my board . I cant stand tone suck and why some pedals do it and some don't ,with all that buffer stuff and such .

I went wireless a few years back... because I could. No real need, nor am I playing the large stages like Al has in the past.

And I love it! So far no Spinal Tap drop-out moments. My system (Shure GLXD16) also doubles as a tuner/mute which seems trivial, but apart from the wireless ability my favorite part of the model's pedal format. The preamp (set to unity) isn't completely transparent and adds a touch of mids to my live tone, but the pre also gives a little extra "oomph" to push through a couple true bypass pedals in my chain without any noticeable signal degradation. I tend to play bright gear with bands, so the Shure system helps balance things out a little.

I've gotten so spoiled that I kinda hate going back to cables.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    I went wireless a few years back... because I could. No real need, nor am I playing the large stages like Al has in the past.

And I love it! So far no Spinal Tap drop-out moments. My system (Shure GLXD16) also doubles as a tuner/mute which seems trivial, but apart from the wireless ability my favorite part of the model's pedal format. The preamp (set to unity) isn't completely transparent and adds a touch of mids to my live tone, but the pre also gives a little extra "oomph" to push through a couple true bypass pedals in my chain without any noticeable signal degradation. I tend to play bright gear with bands, so the Shure system helps balance things out a little.

I've gotten so spoiled that I kinda hate going back to cables.
    You are correct about the mid boost which you reminded me of which is sort of like a subtle TS-9 feel/effect .

Les Paul Forum Member

I also am using one of the Line 6 Relay G70's and absolutely love it! Had it for almost 3 years now with no issues as long as I do a channel scan once I get to the gig to get the best signal. Love the CableTone simulator that's built in and it's nice to have the input gain adjustment. I created 2 settings, one for Gibson's that has no increase and one for my Fenders with single coils that are +3dB to even out the volume with my amps. Very handy!