• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Newbie ‘59 Style Build

BedburBurst

So I always wanted a 59 style Les Paul Standard but couldn’t afford a Custom Shop or Luthier Built one. And since I love to work on guitars and read a hell of a lot Threads on LP Builds...
I’m gonna build one!
f44ce44f-1bd8-4517-9810-4db456ec23fd

To be honest, not an exact replica. But the wood specs are very similar to those of User kikiroro’s build from the German Musiker-Board.de Gear Forum. It actually inspired me the most, more than numerous other build threads. If you understand German, really worth checking his thread out. If you don’t understand German, still interesting checking out the pics which tell the story of his build.
So wood is:
-1 piece African Mahogany (Khaya) Body (not all bursts were Honduran)
-1 piece Khaya Neck
Here’s where stuff isn’t/starts to get not historically correct:
-Madagascar Rosewood Fretboard (good alternative to Brazilian, cheaper and I wanted to try sth different)
-One piece maple top (a 2 piece 2mm was $85 and a 1 piece was also $85 so... (or $80...hot deal) I could cut it in 2 pieces and glue em together but why should I do that? Glue stops tone goin through the wood...
I’m using a friend’s workshop and he helps cause he’s a carpenter/woodworker :)

I think I will put a Faber Alu ABR on it, when I saved more cash it will get a Bigsby B7. I’m gonna wind the Pafs on my own, already did that on Strat Pickups with PE wire. There are some interesting PAF Recipes in the TDPRI...the name says Tele but lotta LP guys in there.
Didn’t buy the pots yet but I think the VIPots come very close to 1958 CRLs.

The build starts on Saturday!

BedburBurst

Sooo...

44bce762-f472-4818-bb34-07d0c6a3c141

5fb57820-ca6a-4cdd-bfb8-b53635035118

routed the cable channel today, looks good!
Scrap wood plate as router guide.

I have a few exams in the next two weeks, but after that I will have time to at least cut out the basic body shape with a jigsaw and start the neck :)

BedburBurst

There are some pics in post 2. If you don’t have enough phone/internet connection for the pix then they are usually shown as little squares. If not I have to attach them as files.
Best

PaulD

There are some pics in post 2. If you don’t have enough phone/internet connection for the pix then they are usually shown as little squares. If not I have to attach them as files.
Best

There are no pics showing, it is nothing to do with phone / internet connection, images have to be hosted on a 3rd party site to show up here. Information on how to do this is here https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?194336-HOW-TO-POST-PHOTOS-ON-THE-LES-PAUL-FORUM