• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mini Humbucker/P90 conversion LP Deluxe

travvyB

Hi brains trust,

Quick question - would a P-90 drop straight in as a replacement for a mini humbucker with 'goof hider' rings? (76' LP deluxe). Thanks in advance, I did have a bit of a 'man look' in the search bar but couldn't find the info I was after.

Cheers

guitplayer

Hi brains trust,

Quick question - would a P-90 drop straight in as a replacement for a mini humbucker with 'goof hider' rings? (76' LP deluxe). Thanks in advance, I did have a bit of a 'man look' in the search bar but couldn't find the info I was after.

Cheers
yes.

Strings Jr.

Yes, as far as the pickup fitting the factory route in the top.

But, the P-90's mount to the guitar a little different, and may require some slight modification.

Big Al

In my experience, it is a direct replacement. The difference is mounting screw location. The pickups need to be supported. I like to screw two screws, [flat heads], in opposite corners under the pickup, in the cavity. I try to get the pickup to rest on the screws, with the pickup at the desired height, leaving enough room for polepiece adjustment.

I find p90's sound best with pickups close to strings an low polepiece settings. Then I measure screws and cut maple dowels to take the screws place supporting the pickup. Or you can stuff foam block stacks like Gibson.