• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is it normal that the screws holding the tuners are loose?

Tor

Today i got a horrible humming/resonating sound whenever i played a "G" note. It could be the open "G" string, or a fretted on one of the higher strings like the high "E".
It only happened in standard tuning, if I tune down a half step, the problem was gone.

I located the sound to the head-stock area and thought it might be from one of the tuners.
I pressed on the back of the tuner, and on top until I thought I found the guilty one. I then checked it with a screwdriver, and the screw was fairly loose. And further more, it wouldn't fasten properly . It just turned and turned. I then went over several of the other screws and at least 4 more where just as loose. Is this a common issue? Are your screws somewhat loose?

Either way, it turned out that this wasn't the problem..
The problem was that the "A" string and "E"string slightly touched each other at the tuners (very tight between the low "E" and "A" at the tuners) And after just tuning the guitar down, moved the string a bit and tuned up, the resonating/humming was gone..
I couldn't replicate the sound afterwards.

JPP-1

Today i got a horrible humming/resonating sound whenever i played a "G" note. It could be the open "G" string, or a fretted on one of the higher strings like the high "E".
It only happened in standard tuning, if I tune down a half step, the problem was gone.

I located the sound to the head-stock area and thought it might be from one of the tuners.
I pressed on the back of the tuner, and on top until I thought I found the guilty one. I then checked it with a screwdriver, and the screw was fairly loose. And further more, it wouldn't fasten properly . It just turned and turned. I then went over several of the other screws and at least 4 more where just as loose. Is this a common issue? Are your screws somewhat loose?

Either way, it turned out that this wasn't the problem..
The problem was that the "A" string and "E"string slightly touched each other at the tuners (very tight between the low "E" and "A" at the tuners) And after just tuning the guitar down, moved the string a bit and tuned up, the resonating/humming was gone..
I couldn't replicate the sound afterwards.

No that is not normal but it should be an easy fix with some wood toothpicks and glue.

Frankly, I did not have any loose screws but found replacing klusons on one of my Les Pauls wirh Grover Rotomatics transformed the guitar increasing its sustain, harmonics, improving balance across the fretboard and overall playability. I think the couple formed by klusons allows for energy to dissipate, when it gets particualry bad you notice the buzzing that you described.

Therefore, if you want to try some wood toothpicks and glue and then screw then back it that should solve the stripped screw hole issue; however, if u are willing to be a little more adventurous, I’d seriously consider some Rotomatics. I think they offer superior performance and look quite at home on a Les Paul.

gavindale

During my time doing repairs and setups I came across many new and used instruments with loose tuner lock nuts and screws. This issue can absolutely create strange noise issues and is something I check on all my guitars every couple of years. I found this to be very prevalent in Fender branded instruments. One of my customers had drilled and installed an additional string tree onto a brand new Fender Tele trying to chase down a crazy resonance. I removed the tree and tightened the tuners to the headstock and the instrument played great with the issue resolved. (Except for the new holes in the headstock...:wah) Just another example of simple guitar care tips that get lost when folks hit the internet trying to solve issues that may simply be an adjustment but send them down the road with more complicated or permanent alterations to their instruments in search of an answer. Sometimes it is just a simple thing.

EdwardR9

I am the custodian and caregiver for a 1977 Gibson L5 strung .14-.56. The headstock screws are loose every two months even after toothpick and crazy glue fix.
The great guitars do this because the increase in resonance between the body and the neck. You can feel it in the headstock.

marshall1987

Any small wood screw can "strip" it's threads in a given piece of wood, especially if there are external forces applied to the screw. The toothpick & Elmer's glue fix works very well in many situations.

Tor

Any small wood screw can "strip" it's threads in a given piece of wood, especially if there are external forces applied to the screw. The toothpick & Elmer's glue fix works very well in many situations.
Sorry for delayed response here. Well, i tried the toothpick and glue tip, it lasted a few week, but when i change strings last time, it was still lose and the screw didn't grab.
Inside the screwhole, everything had just turned into "sawdust"
So i tried again, this time using a matchstick that i kind of shape to fit really snug in the hole.. (the toothpick din't fill the hole 100% last time)

So let's see.. Fingers crossed that this will work. :)

The guitar plays and sounds great, but there's like a small "curse" over it.

I can't change strings without some sort of noise issue surfacing.. an overtone, a pling, a dampt note.. there is always something new to trace down.
I just replaced both ABR1 and stop tailpiece for a Faber, since the "G" sadel on the Gibson ABR1 was a bit muted and dark when played open.
(sounded bright when i pulled the string out of the sadel slot) I tried fixing it by sanding a bit, but to no avail.

Faber was a huge improvemnt to the acoustically sound of the guitar, not so much when plugged in, but it did fix the "G" problem.
Now it got a high pitch shimmering tone on the "B" string both open AND fretted.
It goes away if press on the string on the back of the ABR1 towards the stop tail.. Next string change, i will try raising the the stop tailpiece a bit up, maybe that will do the trick.

Then if the matchstick trick worked, I will do the same on two other tuners that also got screws that don't grab 100% ..

I start to understand why gibson did some changes in the design of both how the tuners are placed and fasten on the headstock to the changes from ABR1 to nashville style bridge :hmm