• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

In-depth PAF video, super detailed.

brandtkronholm

Yup. It's complicated.
Forensic tone chasing (chasing 'Burst tone) is fraught with subtleties and confounding variables - and counterexamples. PAFs are part of it, but not all of it. (Probably not even 20% of it...) Duane Allman had rewound pickups in his 'Burst. His (incredible) sound on "Live at the Fillmore East" is not "pure" 'Burst tone. Jimmy Page had a T-top humbucker in the bridge of his #1 since early 1972. His (amazing) sound on "How the West Was Won" is also not "pure" 'Burst tone.

For me, PAFs present a quirkiness that is eliminated by the choices of pickups, boutiques or not, on the market today. In the early 1970s, pretty much the only place to get a humbucker that would fit a Gibson was, well, from Gibson. The sound of the great PAF loaded Gibsons came from 1) the factory in the late fifties (they had the sound right off the rack) and 2) the players who made them sound so good (Beck, Bernie, Billy). The players had to work with what came in the guitar. That's the quirkiness of the 'Burst tone of Beano and The Beast. The PAF sound might even be considered a limiting factor that the players had to wrestle with in order to get their sound. They relied on creativity and great effort to create these sounds with the limited options they had.

brandtkronholm

Duane had the Goldtop prior to his 'Burst. When he acquired the 'Burst he kept the pickups from the Goldtop and put them in the 'Burst. The Goldtop's pickups were apparently modified/swapped out/rewound at some point while in Duane's possession. So, the sound we hear on the 'Burst Duane played on the Fillmore East has the last set of pickups that were in the Goldtop - which were apparently modified in someway.

I did not dig any deeper into how the Goldtop pickups were modified/rewound. (Or even if they really, actually, were modified.)

It is mysterious.

It is part of the legend.

Link: https://www.groundguitar.com/duane-allman-guitars-and-gear/duane-allmans-1957-gibson-les-paul-goldtop/

duaneflowers

Duane had the Goldtop prior to his 'Burst. When he acquired the 'Burst he kept the pickups from the Goldtop and put them in the 'Burst. The Goldtop's pickups were apparently modified/swapped out/rewound at some point while in Duane's possession. So, the sound we hear on the 'Burst Duane played on the Fillmore East has the last set of pickups that were in the Goldtop - which were apparently modified in someway.

I did not dig any deeper into how the Goldtop pickups were modified/rewound. (Or even if they really, actually, were modified.)

It is mysterious.

It is part of the legend.

Link: https://www.groundguitar.com/duane-...r/duane-allmans-1957-gibson-les-paul-goldtop/

The covers were removed... the pickups were never modified or rewound...

brandtkronholm

Here's a thread from another forum about Duane's PAFs:

https://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=147189

Relevant quote: "...and yes, the pickups from his 57 goldtops were put into his Cherryburst. These were not overwound pickups like the later 59s and there is no concrete evidence that any of his pickups were ever modified."

Apparently these pickups measured ~7.0 K ohms. This is very interesting. His tone on Fillmore East is outta sight!

duaneflowers

My Duane PAFs... Y2K Murphy Aged Yamano Spec Goldtop wound with Wizz 50s wire Layla Tribute set prototypes, Aged Allman Sig wound with Wizz 50s wire Layla Tribute set and VOS Allman Sig wound with Wizz Hot 'Lanta Tribute set... I'm a bit biased because I helped design the Wizz Tribute sets, so naturally I think they are smokin'!!!

78991358_10219892560760994_27392240556965888_o.jpg

brandtkronholm

...I'm a bit biased...

Maybe you are a just a tiny bit biased - your avatar picture and name along with the guitars...I think I see a pattern! :hee

I think I can safely assume you're a super-fan! Awesome! :dude:

And now for a further derailing of this thread...

Here's a question for you: Are you able to list the officially released ABB soundboard tapes recorded prior to 10/29/1971? I want to make sure I'm not missing any. (I've misplaced my Ludlow Garage, which is incomplete anyway (missing IMoER)). Now, with the official released listed, what are the non-official bootlegs (audience and/or soundboard) that would best supplement that list? I do have a very nice bootleg CD of an audience recording from the summer of 1971 (post Fillmore) in New Orleans. I do notice that you live in Japan, so I'll also assume you are aware of West Shinjuku where we have Blind Faith, CD Museum, and other shops for the connoisseur...

Thanks in advance!

(Has Eat a Peach put out a complete Ludlow Garage? I know I've seen Euroean/CDs containing some of the songs that are missing from the initial official double disc release back in the '90s... I digress...)

Last edited:

pqs

Great video. This is the same guy who authenticates vintage Les Pauls and in one video he shows that contrary to popular belief, the tops on vintage LPs is glued to the body using phenol formaldehyde resin and not hide glue.

Anyways, I’ve had good experience with PAF clones and even the Gibson Custombuckers, especially the new ones.
[h=2]Descriptio[/h]