• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Princeton half a Delxue Reverb?

Cliff Gress

Is my Princeton BF reissue the same as the vibrato side of a BF Deluxe Reverb reissue? My inputs say instrument, vibrato on the DR. All other controls match.

fakejake

A Princeton Reverb has significantly less power than a Deluxe Reverb. A PR should be around 16 watts, a DR 22 watts.

Don

They're pretty different amps. Among other things, the phase inverter and tremolo are very different.

sonar

They're pretty different amps. Among other things, the phase inverter and tremolo are very different.

The reverb is hotter and no bright cap on the PR.

The power transformer on the PR is undersized, and thinking about it the output is also a little wimpy... but that’s not necessarily a dig on the PR.

And as Don mentioned, “Among other things...”

Wally

Cliff, t9 be specific about the differences....and similarities....
Obviously, they both run 2 x 6V6’s in fixed bias, and they both have the AB763 preamp.
Differences.... the Prin Rev has a cathodyne Phase inverter and bias vary. This is a link back to the 5F11 tweed Vibrolux.
The Prin Rev and the DR do very similar sounds up until a certain point.

goldtop0

Can't detail any technical differences as above but as you would appreciate the overdrive in the amps are different.
Both my PR and DR are RIs with PCBs, tubes and 12" speakers.
The PR affects the Celestion I have in it(or any other wattage of 12" I've tried in it) in a very different way to the DR, in that it really attacks the speaker, it's a very crunchy graunchy overdrive and not a smoother rounder tone like I get from the DR when pushed. The DR to me is like a Marshall style overdrive.

sonar

Can't detail any technical differences as above but as you would appreciate the overdrive in the amps are different.
Both my PR and DR are RIs with PCBs, tubes and 12" speakers.
The PR affects the Celestion I have in it(or any other wattage of 12" I've tried in it) in a very different way to the DR, in that it really attacks the speaker, it's a very crunchy graunchy overdrive and not a smoother rounder tone like I get from the DR when pushed. The DR to me is like a Marshall style overdrive.

I endorse these comments.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I play both amps quite frequently. 1964 DR and 1972 PR (converted to 12" celestion Blue)

As mentioned very similar up to a point. The PR is a tad brighter and "spankier" at low to medium levels. The DR seems smoother in the middle ranges.

Cabinet differences make them much more different as the PR seems "boxy" and lacks some bottom end punch.