• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Reissues v originals

El Gringo

The pots have been nowhere near vintage spec, and it is hard, very hard to find new pots with a similar logrithmic sweep. Changing pots to a type that suit your needs is smart. I'd offer this advice though. Don't fall into the nubes trap.

So many think the volume pot resistance must be at least 500k and many look for values greater as if 500k is good 525k is better and 550k must be even better! Right?

Consider this, though the larger values send less of the very high frequency to ground, the higher values send less very high frequency to ground!
Remember, good pafs are bright! Newer versions seem to favor the underwound type which are even brighter still. Why boost brightness on an overly bright guitar?
The other thing I noticed is that the larger value pots have terrible audio sweeps. At largest values they are more like an on/off switch. 250k is often used with single coils to tame harsh high frequency. It can apply to bright humbuckers too as the concept is the same.

It can be mind blowing how much more useful and sweeter a less than 500k volume pot can be, even as low as 300k or, .... gasp!, ... 250k!, when paired with these very bright pickups.

Clipping in a large value pot, reducing the value by turning down and measuring the resistance to where it sounds right with a dialed in amp can give a good place to start from.
I like 250k bridge pickup volume pots and 500k or slightly less for neck volume. Works well in my chain but certainly not a rule.

Big Al , you touched on an interesting aspect of the underwound CustomBuckers , such as Wildwood uses and CME CustomBucker S pickups , and I had the chance to play a CME R9 Les Paul while I was in Chicago a few months ago . I played the guitar thru a high gain amp similar to my set up at home and I was quite surprised at how easy the pickups distorted in the most nicest way . Yet they sounded different than my ThroBak's which scream .Other times when I have played someone else's R9 with Custombckers they sounded down right weak and anemic and I am puzzled by the difference ? Please enlighten me ?

Trans-Am

Lots of new and old different pickups for different models. Sometimes I am led to believe that some if not all pickups are are similarly wound in fashion when it comes to turns and amount wraps besides the pots and what not. The names given or made up are somewhat misleading as if the newer model Paul's and such will be nearer and closer to the real PAF sound from the last model offered and yet could have the same amount of volume or EQ overall just tweaked. I like my 57's/Plus series along with the BB1's/2 with the 490/498's :dude:

Never did looked into the newer type offered within the Gibson catalog such as CustomBuck/CME as far as upgrades and such let alone the outside takes on Lollars/Throbaks/BareKnucks and such. Preference in sound and in what you want to hear is at play here. Haven't been that far in cranking it to the max and listening what difference it sounded as I liked the sound I am getting from my own tweaks etc. with the type of amps i have and use, not sound like the next guy who has the most expensive true sounding real McCoy pups etc.

Heard too much already online and in reality at some extent, what might sound awesome and good enough for you maybe less appealing to others. Gibson sure has it's way to turning tables on you since right from the get go.

Every time I see an AD or a new model there is this new sounding pickups that gets mentioned by them within the specs and circle parameters of a vintage PAF?:bigal

I dunno:hmm, maybe i stopped being too anal here or I might just have to take up drinking. Just my thoughts that's all. :peace

pdfiddler

I'm guessing this whole damn forum hasn't anything to do with need. It's all for fun . What's the harm?:hmm

StSpider

I've never played a genuine 'Burst. I've played a few vintage Juniors and vintage guitars by other brands, I've played a lot of Historics, I've played a conversion (53/59 IIRC) and I've played quite a few replicas, some with all original parts except for the wood, from the plastics to the pots (including ofc the pickups).

My idea is that, as a musician's tool, a good Custom Shop Gibson is as good as the real mccoy. I'm not saying that it sounds as good, but I'm saying that the difference will never be as relevant or impactful as the person playing the guitar.

If you love plugging into a vintage non MV amp and you have the chance to play it loud then yes, that type of amp will showcase that the vintage guitar feels and sounds a bit better. But that is something that hardly translates to actual music.