• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

16' R9 PUP colour?

Grimesy

Hi all,
Been trawling the internet for this answer and this forum and can't find the answer (maybe i'm dim but this place is like well over 10 years old, lot of content). So I have a 16 R9 standard historic and I'm considering removing the pup covers in the new year to hear how they sound, if i don't like the tone i'll recover em with a dab of solder (i'll buy historically accurate solder.

What colour pups are on the 16' R9? zebra? cream tops? Any ideas anyone have experience with this?

Regards

CatManDoo88

Hi all,
Been trawling the internet for this answer and this forum and can't find the answer (maybe i'm dim but this place is like well over 10 years old, lot of content). So I have a 16 R9 standard historic and I'm considering removing the pup covers in the new year to hear how they sound, if i don't like the tone i'll recover em with a dab of solder (i'll buy historically accurate solder.

What colour pups are on the 16' R9? zebra? cream tops? Any ideas anyone have experience with this?

Regards

Custombuckers are double blacks, at least the ones from my 2015 were. Just a heads-up that until 2019, Custombuckers were wax potted, so removing the covers could get a bit messy.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi all,

Regards

It's easy to check to bobbin colors without removing the covers.
Of course, if you're removing the covers anyway, what difference does it make?

rob livesey

Custombuckers are double blacks, at least the ones from my 2015 were. Just a heads-up that until 2019, Custombuckers were wax potted, so removing the covers could get a bit messy.

I pulled the cover off my 2017 R9 just to have a look. No messy wax to be seen. Just like any other PAF repro to my eyes.

Rob

rob livesey

Double black. I only checked the bridge pickup, and I haven't pulled the covers off my 2017 R8 either, so I don't know what's under there.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
How do you check the colour?

Turn the pickup upside down. On the bottom, 4 small screws hold the bobbins in place. Take one out and look at the color inside [a flashlight might help]. Replace the screw and repeat with the other bobbin.
Viola! :salude

CatManDoo88

I pulled the cover off my 2017 R9 just to have a look. No messy wax to be seen. Just like any other PAF repro to my eyes.

Rob

Interesting, when we took the covers off the Custombuckers from my 2015, there was visible wax on the bobbins under the covers.

BurstFan

I do have a 2017 R8 (which is really fantastic). I also do think that the pups are not waxed. The polepieces just turn very easy (which sometimes is tricky with waxed pups) and I do get very easy feedback with this guitar.
But it's just a guess.