• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A thought about the middle position on LP's

thin sissy

Hi everyone!

I want to start a discussion on the middle position tone. Until I bought a 55 goldtop, I almost didn't use it. On my LP's I turned the magnet to get the OOP sound because I thought it was more useful. BUT, on the goldtop I LOVE the middle sound the way it is, without the OOP thing.

Now, my point of discussion is this: if you have a very hot neck pickup in relation to the bridge pickup, does that make for a super sweet and jangly middle tone? Because the neck PU on the goldtop is very hot, and the bridge PU is more "normal".

I can't say if this is a general rule or not, so I'd like to hear some impressions from you guys :hmm

renderit

It is my suspicion this is what makes a 'biter' vs a 'moaner'.

More bite on the bridge if it is more powerful.

More moan on the neck if it pushes the limits.

If the neck is low and the bridge is low (outputs) it makes it more jangly, particularly with the screws up on each.

And I think those screws (poles) have a lot to do with anything out of the beasts.

More than the output even.

High output with screws up gets TOO jangly, annoyingly so.

As with everything on these guitars, the adjustments on each guitar are (sometimes wildly) different.

It could drive you mad.

But over time (decades) it increases your respect for the total package.

AA00475Bassman

I play the middle often I think the note articulation is great plus really get lost in all the variables with 4 knobs active !!

I would all so mention one of my favorite ES 345 set ups is middle everything wide open and start rolling back the neck volume !