• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RIP Roy Clark

gibson-r8

I had not heard that, thanks for this notice. I was not a country music fan, and I found HeeHaw to be offensive in a lot of ways.. But the first time I heard Roy perform Malagueña on an electric guitar I was absolutely blown away. His talent and showmanship (how he would give a wink as he broke into some incredible riff as if to say “watch this”) places him in my All Time Best Guitarist list.

A real loss after a long and incredible career.

Texas Blues

I had not heard that, thanks for this notice. I was not a country music fan, and I found HeeHaw to be offensive in a lot of ways.. But the first time I heard Roy perform Malagueña on an electric guitar I was absolutely blown away. His talent and showmanship (how he would give a wink as he broke into some incredible riff as if to say “watch this”) places him in my All Time Best Guitarist list.

A real loss after a long and incredible career.

I'll probably get flagged for asking but....

What did you find offensive about HeeHaw?

I watched that show growing up.

I never found it offensive.

It was hilarious.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I'll probably get flagged for asking but....

What did you find offensive about HeeHaw?

I watched that show growing up.

I never found it offensive.

It was hilarious.

Taking into account reruns, some of the humor is no longer PC. :ganz

I grew up with it too, and I never found it offensive [unless you're offended by cornball humor]. :)

And the music!! :dude:

gibson-r8

Yea, Jimmy’s text said one year on. I just had missed it before or my brain didn’t retain.

As to HeeHaw, this is probably going to sound silly, but I found the hillbilly caricature it and the Beverly Hillbillies portrayed offensive to the real mountain folk I grew up with in the Ozarks. A kazillion tourists pouring in looking for the yokels they saw on television. I was a teenager and lucky to be able to find summer jobs helping relieve them of their vacation money, but sometimes ...

As time and music have changed, I do have a greater appreciation of country music from that era, real musicianship and talent crosses all boundaries. Roy, Glen Campbell, Chet, jerry Reed.. dang those guys were good.

jimmi

That must have been what he edited out, because he doesn't say that in his text: "Phenomenal player. Watched HeHaw every Saturday night". :hmm

I posted in a hurry on my phone and the whole message did not post. I tried to edit it after but it wouldn’t let me correct the title.

as to what is offensive or not, I find it hard to judge the past with current cultural standards. People of that era would be fairly offended by many things in our entertainment for different reasons. We are all to differing degrees products of our time.

Doesnt change what a great player he was or some of the great appearances by Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and others.

Big Al

Loved He Haw and all my friends understood what they were doing and no one got offended unless they were the kind of folks that just need to be. Them just looking for a reason to be offended folks.
I got the joke, loved the music and understand the difference between parody and documentary.

Roy was amazing. I got to know him a little in my Nevada days and we'd cross paths a few times a year, talk gear and fishing. Never did get to go fishin' like we talked about and that's a shame. I did find some stuff he wanted and he was always so enthusiastic and appreciative. Watching him play was fun and left a big impression on me. Show Business is an art. Roy was an artist.