• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sprague cap copies more expensive than the original?!

BedburBurst

So I was looking for caps for my LP Build and ended up at Crazyparts who sell Luxe Cap Sets for $60-$70. But Sprague caps from the 50s/60s sell for 30-50 on Reverb. At least the ones I saw.

Triburst

Ebay and Reverb have plenty of cheap "bumblebee" Spragues that are NOT Paper In Oil caps, but are the later version that's NOT Paper In Oil (but marked exactly like them). The Luxes are actually PIO's -- and have the little "solder bulb" at one end.
Also, if you're dealing with Ebay, note that many will not be the correct 400v/.022's you're looking for. Other values are cheaper, as you say.
So, if you actually DO find PIO 400v/.022's that cheap, see if the seller will show you how far they've drifted from .022mF -- that could also be why they're cheap.