• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kiesel Guitars???

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I just drifted into the Kiesel site and spec'd out a custom build V6 KIESEL VADER HEADLESS... At the end of the 7 page selection list, the price was 2 Grand, which begs the question; "Why doesn't everyone own one these"??? :peace2

Think about it... A Custom Shop guitar, where you get to choose EVERYTHING, for $2000.00??? :wow :wow :wow

700-v6.jpg

jalevinemd

I have one with a Master Grade Flame Koa top and no tremolo. Spec'd it out in person about two years ago while visiting relatives in Cali. I can't say enough good things about the build quality of my instrument. It's an amazing guitar. It's basically a couch and travel guitar. My experience with Flock and Kiesel in general was exceptional, though I've read reviews by others who didn't have the same experience.

Don

They're not for everyone- they're not very traditional, for example.

I've had several Carvins and still own 2- a 2008 DC150 and a 1983 DC150. They're both great guitars and go against every cliche about guitars of their type.
For example-
-The 2008 DC150 is neck through with stainless steel frets. It is a very warm and musical guitar. When I went to Dave Gries' house to try out an amp he asked what it was and thought it had a great sound. He didn't say anything about the other guitars that I had with me.
-The 1983 DC150 is solid maple. It's pretty lightweight (the body is pretty small) and not overly bright. It is a stereo guitar that is easy to use in stereo and mono.

I had an AE185 semi-hollow acoustic/electric hybrid ( and magnetic pickups) that copped ES-335 and Strat tones and sounded pretty much like any other under bridge piezo acoustic through an acoustic amp or the PA. I'd still have it except that it was active and couldn't be bypassed and had a skinny neck (I hate to mention that I thought it was ugly because I don't want to admit to being that shallow).

Another concern with Kiesel and Carvin guitars is resale value- I paid about $400 for each of these guitars in awesome condition.

Last edited:

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I have one with a Master Grade Flame Koa top and no tremolo. Spec'd it out in person about two years ago while visiting relatives in Cali. I can't say enough good things about the build quality of my instrument. It's an amazing guitar. It's basically a couch and travel guitar. My experience with Flock and Kiesel in general was exceptional, though I've read reviews by others who didn't have the same experience.

No doubt... :peace2 :salude

They're not for everyone- they're not very traditional, for example.

I've had several Carvins and still own 2- a 2008 DC150 and a 1983 DC150. They're both great guitars and go against every cliche about guitars of their type.
For example-
-The 2008 DC150 is neck through with stainless steel frets. It is a very warm and musical guitar. When I went to Dave Dries' house to try out an amp he asked what it was and thought it had a great sound. He didn't say anything about the other guitars that I had with me.
-The 1983 DC150 is solid maple. It's pretty lightweight (the body is pretty small) and not overly bright. It is a stereo guitar that is easy to use in stereo and mono.

I had an AE185 semi-hollow acoustic/electric hybrid ( and magnetic pickups) that copped ES-335 and Strat tones and sounded pretty much like any other under bridge piezo acoustic through an acoustic amp or the PA. I'd still have it except that it was active and couldn't be bypassed and had a skinny neck (I hate to mention that I thought it was ugly because I don't want to admit to being that shallow).

Another concern with Kiesel and Carvin guitars is resale value- I paid about $400 for each of these guitars in awesome condition.

I agree that they're not for everyone. Having said that, and acknowledging that some people are very brand and/or model sensitive, and I might be a little brand/model sensitive myself, when it comes to certain platforms. For example: If I want the Les Paul feel and tone, I buy a Les Paul. If I want the Strat feel and tone, I buy a Strat... And so on... I don't ask one guitar to do, what another guitar does so well. That's the beauty of having so many wonderful options...

However... In general terms, there are other instruments that fill a specific niche. For example: I love my Martin HD-28, but I also love double tracking with that guitar and a Nashville strung Taylor GS Mini... It sounds glorious...

I agree that these things will not have all that much in terms of "resale value", but that's just not an issue to me... Back in the '70s and '80s, we used to say; "Musical instruments lose value faster than used chewing gum and dirt bikes"... So I'm use to that... :peace2

I stumbled into these things while searching for a compact, durable, full featured guitar, that I could take anywhere, at any time, and not really have to worry about it... :salude

BLuesGuitarMart

I've read awful things about their customer service so wouldn't even consider one, life is too short to give money to builders who aren't awesome to work with. There are a ton of builders around who make the whole custom experience an absolute pleasure start to finish, Kiesel is not one of those builders by all accounts.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I've read awful things about their customer service so wouldn't even consider one, life is too short to give money to builders who aren't awesome to work with. There are a ton of builders around who make the whole custom experience an absolute pleasure start to finish, Kiesel is not one of those builders by all accounts.

Good to know... [Note to self: Screw Kiesel Guitars] :peace2

BLuesGuitarMart

Haha, I do have to say that personally I have no experience with them and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had amazing experiences. But, I hate drama and even $2,000 for a custom guitar for me is quite a significant purchase so I wouldn't take the risk.

Some of their guitars do look cool though.

jalevinemd

And like I said...my experience was excellent. Granted I haven't had a problem yet requiring customer service. Hopefully that day never comes and if it does, hopefully I don't have any of the issues I've read about.

jrgtr42

I've never heard that Carvin / Kiesel was hard to work with - I've known a bunch of people who've had them and not one mentioned any issues.
I really like the idea of them - get to choose and spec every part . However, the one part that you can't change is (IMO) the most important for human / instrument coupling - the neck.
They have just the one profile for their neck shapes, and it's far too thin for my tastes. One reason I like Gibsons is that they have the big, chunky neck. Even the slim taper 60's style, while thinner than my hands like, is still playable,
Keisel's is more along the lines of the super thin, Jackson / Ibanez / ESP shredder style - I just can't play those.

Dave P

I have a Holdsworth Fatboy, it's a super nice guitar. They actually finished it in the wrong color, but it looked great so I didn't bitch about it.