• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

One Piece Maple Top?

BedburBurst

Hey guys,
I’m going to build a Burst style Lester and my tonewood dealer also offered me a one piece maple top. I know they used two piece tops on bursts but why didn’t they use one piece ones?
Best
David
Ps: How can I turn the background of the writing board to black? The letters are almost invisible.

TM1

You’d need a 14” wide piece of maple. One piece that wide I’m sure would be pretty expensive, much less expensive to buy boards that are 7” wide and cut them in two.

BedburBurst

I think he offered it at a similar price like a two piece. Should I take it or prefer the two piece because it’s “historically correct”? It’s not gonna be an exact replica anyway.
Is a 19mm Neck blank okay if the headstock will be scarf joint?
Best

Wally

If one is using a scarf joint on the neck, then imho all concerns about “historically correct” are of...well.....no concern. I say go for the one piece just to make people look twice and talk about it.