NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 'Banker' Korina Flying V & Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Well then, what was it designed to play?
    I would have to say 'Pure Rock!' Kinda like EVH did on the 1st track of their 1st LP--'Running with the Devil'! [w/ Ibanez`s version on the Explorer]! However of course rock has no rules and 'guitar music' doesn`t either--which makes me wonder what was played by those who purchased an original Explorer back in the late 50`s?!

Quote Originally Posted by CBRmatt600 View Post
    I made the LP Forum, alright!

Thank you to ourmaninthenorth and corpse for the kind words...appreciate it!

For the moment, I am doing a limited run of these “58’ Spec Guitars”...V’s and Explorers, all with Brazillian boards for $4,499 each. 100% hand made, and the V utilizes the correct brass string plate, brad nails, leg rest rubber, and ferrules. They are built by me and authorized by Gibson. Each comes with a custom fit TKL case.
    I'm actually in the market for an Explorer... In fact, I had the phone in my hand, ready to dial up one of our "sponsor dealers", and chose to sleep on it a few days...

Their Gibson Custom Shop version is around the same price as yours. The question is; what are the logistics of getting your version to the USA, without it becoming the property of US Customs?
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I'm actually in the market for an Explorer... In fact, I had the phone in my hand, ready to dial up one of our "sponsor dealers", and chose to sleep on it a few days...

Their Gibson Custom Shop version is around the same price as yours. The question is; what are the logistics of getting your version to the USA, without it becoming the property of US Customs?
    Kenny, Matt ( Banker ) is Stateside, Georgia I believe.

Problem solved.

One UPS van ride from your hands.

Thank me later...

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Kenny, Matt ( Banker ) is Stateside, Georgia I believe.

Problem solved.

One UPS van ride from your hands.

Thank me later...

Ah ha! Good to know...

What are the chances of getting one "not aged", (i.e. NOS)???

EDIT: Actually, I just visited the site, and apparently, there are many options available...

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."

I live near Matt and was at the shop Monday. He just completed two korina guitars for two major US guitar players. It is anything you want- the Exp with the lam tortoise guard is just frigging unbelievable. He is building the neck joints just like the original 58's. The wood- even on a recent V which was "plain-Jane-plain" (I just made that up) is stunning.
    Now I have to say a my personal feeling is a bigsby on a V or an Exp is an abomination- but he will do whatever you want. I just saw an Exp with a stinger he did- dang.
    The aging thing begins somewhere- hot off the presses they are superbly finished guitars- then he chains them to the back of his truck and puts it in 4-wheel drive... the neck edges are rounded and frets well-dressed.
    Anyway- you should hop on Kenny. A- the guitars are stellar and B he is getting busy.

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    I live near Matt and was at the shop Monday. He just completed two korina guitars for two major US guitar players. It is anything you want- the Exp with the lam tortoise guard is just frigging unbelievable. He is building the neck joints just like the original 58's. The wood- even on a recent V which was "plain-Jane-plain" (I just made that up) is stunning.
    Now I have to say a my personal feeling is a bigsby on a V or an Exp is an abomination- but he will do whatever you want. I just saw an Exp with a stinger he did- dang.
    The aging thing begins somewhere- hot off the presses they are superbly finished guitars- then he chains them to the back of his truck and puts it in 4-wheel drive... the neck edges are rounded and frets well-dressed.
    Anyway- you should hop on Kenny. A- the guitars are stellar and B he is getting busy.
    My build would be easy... 1958 specs in all regards... NOS finish, as if it just came out of the factory... DONE!!!

You can contact him directly via his website or on facebook.
    https://www.bankercustomguitars.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    My build would be easy... 1958 specs in all regards... NOS finish, as if it just came out of the factory... DONE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K_L View Post
    You can contact him directly via his website or on facebook.
    https://www.bankercustomguitars.com/
    Cool... Thanks!

I would have to say 'Pure Rock!' Kinda like EVH did on the 1st track of their 1st LP--'Running with the Devil'! [w/ Ibanez`s version on the Explorer]! However of course rock has no rules and 'guitar music' doesn`t either--which makes me wonder what was played by those who purchased an original Explorer back in the late 50`s?!
    I don’t know what Gibson designed it to do, but Gary Moore used it to make some blistering British Blues on it, and The Edge of U2 used an Explorer to great effect in the early days to make soaring post punk Alterno-Pop never heard of until then. I bet you can play some wicked country on it too if you had the right chops. So it is a do it all guitar, potentially speaking, as I see it.

Another great looking Explorer made by Banker Custom Guitars

AND- AND- AND- that one has a stinger!!!!

I always thought they were aiming at that whole insrumental Atomc Cafe thing. Telstar and that whole hip Space Rocket forward into the future thing. Americans were obsessed with futuristic autos, furniture, homes and fashion. 58/59 were watershed years in American Design.

Rock was a fad and all but over. Surf/Spy/Space instrumentals were the new hip thing and Fender ruled supreme. I think they thought the Modernistic Guitars would establish Gibson as a hip, youthful player in the exploding solidbody market. They repeated the same fatal mistake, imo, that sunk Les Pauls. They went with humbuckers. The Alnico Staple pickup may very well found more favor then, or some new, bright singlecoil.
    The older I get, the better I was.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Well then, what was it designed to play?
    "Lady of Spain" in B Flat...