• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help on Upgrading bridge material for my '01 SG std

DocBrown

Hi every one !

I request your expertise about the upgrade of my 2001 gibson sg standard.

For instance there's a standard Gibson abr1 / tail piece on it. The aim is to get a more open sound, more brightness and more woody tone. I had a similar issue with a sg jr reissue from '05 and the aluminium compensated wraparound from ABM cured the problem. So I think aliminium is the way to go. Pigtail bridge are out of budget. I know they are highly recomended and available in zinc or aluminium. so here my options :

- Faber bridge (made of 70% zinc 30% aluminium) with brass saddles
- Faber bridge (made of 70% zinc 30% aluminium) with titanium saddles
- ABM bridge available in stainless steel, bell brass and aluminium ( I don't what is the material of saddles I suppose they're made of brass)

In every case I think I'll combine it with an aluminium tailpiece.

So what do you think ?

Thanks !

Tommy Tourbus

I have a callaham steel abr on mine and it sounds great. It's also a great sounding guitar in general, so that helps, but I like the way it sounds with the callaham vs stock better

DocBrown

Thanks for your reply. Callaham makes fantastic products ( I'll put a callaham on my strat). But I would preffer to go for aluminium (or something close) for this one as this material offered good solution on my junior.

DocBrown

Thanks for your answer. As I wrote in the original post, faber il on the short list, but I don't know about titanium saddles. Did you try them ?