NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Chasing Burst Tone

Quote Originally Posted by danieldoranie View Post
    Um, never mind. Forget I asked. They should rename this forum the Baby Boomer Cringe Club.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Um, never mind. Forget I asked. They should rename this forum the Baby Boomer Cringe Club.
    So sorry you can't find a talent in a box or magic piece of gear to transform your tone. Can't always have a plug in or preset that fixes everything. Experience is a great teacher. World class tone isn't exclusive to age or generation.

It is talent/ability conditioned by time spent engaged with serious practice/study. I've heard youngsters who practice and study hard. Talented young people who get it. Far beyond my ability. Yet like me they get their great tone no matter the gear. We have our preferences in gear, but gear is meaningless without the technique to pull the tone.

50 years of noodlng makes for an experienced noodler.

Someday they'll make that 'Not Suck' switch.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member

It's way too early to give up. You have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    So sorry you can't find a talent in a box or magic piece of gear to transform your tone. Can't always have a plug in or preset that fixes everything. Experience is a great teacher. World class tone isn't exclusive to age or generation.

It is talent/ability conditioned by time spent engaged with serious practice/study. I've heard youngsters who practice and study hard. Talented young people who get it. Far beyond my ability. Yet like me they get their great tone no matter the gear. We have our preferences in gear, but gear is meaningless without the technique to pull the tone.

50 years of noodlng makes for an experienced noodler.

Okay, Boomer.

Okay, Boomer.
    Is that supposed to be an insult, or admission?

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Is that supposed to be an insult, or admission?
    Al.

You're a crusty old bastige.

And I have not always agreed with you.

But I've always liked and respected you.

Screw that cats comment.

They use the boomer thang when they have nothing coherent to say.

Put that shit on auto-ignore.

danieldoranie got a bit of a smack-down here, IMO. I didn't read that he felt the only thing keeping him from obtaining boomer tone was his guitar parts or setup, but that he was inquiring about specific part changes (like every other MF who has posted around here since I joined in 2000 or so).

Parts and pieces do make a difference. Playing style and ability make a much greater difference (obviously), but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Guys get tired of reading and writing the same stuff, so some choose to avoid the repetition (myself, included).

Quote Originally Posted by KR1 View Post
    danieldoranie got a bit of a smack-down here, IMO. I didn't read that he felt the only thing keeping him from obtaining boomer tone was his guitar parts or setup, but that he was inquiring about specific part changes (like every other MF who has posted around here since I joined in 2000 or so).

Parts and pieces do make a difference. Playing style and ability make a much greater difference (obviously), but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Guys get tired of reading and writing the same stuff, so some choose to avoid the repetition (myself, included).
    REALLY? I'm not surprised, it's your nature. Maybe, just maybe, if you actually read the thread, you'd see that almost all the replies give detailed answers and hardware tips and suggestions. Of course the op seemed disinterested except to make his shitty little snide comment about the forum.

He didn't get a smack down as you claim and the only truth in your post was "I didn't read...".

REALLY? I'm not surprised, it's your nature. Maybe, just maybe, if you actually read the thread, you'd see that almost all the replies give detailed answers and hardware tips and suggestions. Of course the op seemed disinterested except to make his shitty little snide comment about the forum.

He didn't get a smack down as you claim and the only truth in your post was "I didn't read...".
    Oh I read it, Al. Nice parse-

I'm pretty sure that I've kept a pretty neutral "nature" here. Objectivity doesn't abound on the LPF, thus my observation.

Otherwise, since about 1999 or 2000, you and I have had some great conversations about the subject guitar and many other things that relate to Gibson, including our mutual histories in Kalamazoo. Anything else that you want to address about my remarks here (I'm all ears)? Other than a lot of support for you personally, on a pretty regular basis, I don't know what you're referring to. Otherwise, unwavering reverence to your opinions doesn't serve the discussion a whole lot, you know?

Have a great holiday, and I hope that recoveries are in your near and long-term future.

Kim

Oh I read it, Al. Nice parse-

I'm pretty sure that I've kept a pretty neutral "nature" here. Objectivity doesn't abound on the LPF, thus my observation.

Otherwise, since about 1999 or 2000, you and I have had some great conversations about the subject guitar and many other things that relate to Gibson, including our mutual histories in Kalamazoo. Anything else that you want to address about my remarks here (I'm all ears)? Other than a lot of support for you personally, on a pretty regular basis, I don't know what you're referring to. Otherwise, unwavering reverence to your opinions doesn't serve the discussion a whole lot, you know?

Have a great holiday, and I hope that recoveries are in your near and long-term future.

Kim
    No recovery I'm afraid. I'm still draining blood and fluids, still locked in the mega sling, my weekly hospital visits to have dead tissue cut away fill me with dread and I've lost hope.

But honestly, this thread is full of the helpful advice, mostly ignored by the op and which you seemed to imply was not provided. The op took the negative stance towards a posted example by another brother and yet no one 'smacked him down' anywhere, which was the point of your post, or am I wrong?

His point was that the reissues could not achieve "Burst Tone". His only point of reference, and the only reference he was interested in was the youtube clip he posted. He was offered help and given points of view more expansive than his narrow and unrealistic viewpoint. His
    Boomer post was uncalled for given the nature of the thread until that point.

No recovery I'm afraid. I'm still draining blood and fluids, still locked in the mega sling, my weekly hospital visits to have dead tissue cut away fill me with dread and I've lost hope.

But honestly, this thread is full of the helpful advice, mostly ignored by the op and which you seemed to imply was not provided. The op took the negative stance towards a posted example by another brother and yet no one 'smacked him down' anywhere, which was the point of your post, or am I wrong?

His point was that the reissues could not achieve "Burst Tone". His only point of reference, and the only reference he was interested in was the youtube clip he posted. He was offered help and given points of view more expansive than his narrow and unrealistic viewpoint. His
    Boomer post was uncalled for given the nature of the thread until that point.
    Al,

Iím really sorry you have had to endure what you have; I mean that sincerely. My one and only brother (4 years older than you and I) has been fighting a similar battle for about 4 years and itís daunting. You deserve much credit and letís let that be the message from me to you.

The rest: My take-away from the thread was clearly different as I felt that the OP may have gotten a bit more birdshot than warranted. IOW, he may not need the ďDonít SuckĒ switch, just a little frustrated. Weíve been there.

No matter-

Day of the Pillow canít come soon enough.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Excellent post!

I too also post bullshit!

When I have nothing constructive to say of merit.

aaaawww, doesn't mommy and daddy share the beach condo with you anymore? If you finished that degree maybe you would't have to keep flipping burgers...
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Jesus on a Jazzmaster-

I may have had it wrong (quite)....

Al,

Iím really sorry you have had to endure what you have; I mean that sincerely. My one and only brother (4 years older than you and I) has been fighting a similar battle for about 4 years and itís daunting. You deserve much credit and letís let that be the message from me to you.
    -
    I know that, brother. I enjoy our posts and I think I have a pretty good read on you and I've always regarded you as a friend as well as a knowledgeable guy not prone to fancful reaching and tend towards honest observation. Something I value as for me, I can rely upon it.

You have mentioned your brother before and I hope his battle is getting easier. It is hardest for me when dealing with family. I hope he wins. Little victories have a greater impact than those not engaged can fathom. Small setbacks can be devistatingly hard when you fight so hard to maintain, much less post a gain. Allow your brother his emotions. It takes so much effort to present yourself as you were when your emotions or moods are so tied into your fight.

I know I'd rather engage in this than endure witnessing it in a loved one. So much we bury or hide, in order to protect or shield those we love. In many ways the emotional battle is the hardest. The pain is much easier to deal with.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

I can get a tune out of a strung biscuit tin...

When I'm pouring my soul into a playing a piece of music, vintage or modern doesn't make a wank of a difference...it's how it makes me feel that matters. I can play, I can feel, when those two planets align...my bloody DNA smiles.

That's why I play...it's medicine.

I don't flatter myself, I don't deal in false humility. In comparison to others my brains are brand new in the box, but tuck a guitar under me arm, and when I eventually shut the fook up...things happen, often.

I bloody love playing guitars as an act, not an ambition.

This is what happens when the chase stops, and the lived experience begins.

I've served my apprenticeship.

Every man to his trade.

Can you see the unbridled joy after pouring every single thing I know into this guitar for a couple of hours?

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Paul,

What a great photo! Says it all-

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post

Can you see the unbridled joy after pouring every single thing I know into this guitar for a couple of hours?

Yes I can!

And, that ain't no biscuit tin!
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Yes I can!

And, that ain't no biscuit tin!

No Tom, but this one is.... a whereabouts mystery solved and a nice Jammie Dodger in one fell swoop

Paul,

What a great photo! Says it all-

Thank you kindly Kim.

All well Mate?

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Thank you kindly Kim.