• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Chasing Burst Tone

Big Al

Um, never mind. Forget I asked. They should rename this forum the Baby Boomer Cringe Club.

So sorry you can't find a talent in a box or magic piece of gear to transform your tone. Can't always have a plug in or preset that fixes everything. Experience is a great teacher. World class tone isn't exclusive to age or generation.

It is talent/ability conditioned by time spent engaged with serious practice/study. I've heard youngsters who practice and study hard. Talented young people who get it. Far beyond my ability. Yet like me they get their great tone no matter the gear. We have our preferences in gear, but gear is meaningless without the technique to pull the tone.

50 years of noodlng makes for an experienced noodler.

Someday they'll make that 'Not Suck' switch.

danieldoranie

So sorry you can't find a talent in a box or magic piece of gear to transform your tone. Can't always have a plug in or preset that fixes everything. Experience is a great teacher. World class tone isn't exclusive to age or generation.

It is talent/ability conditioned by time spent engaged with serious practice/study. I've heard youngsters who practice and study hard. Talented young people who get it. Far beyond my ability. Yet like me they get their great tone no matter the gear. We have our preferences in gear, but gear is meaningless without the technique to pull the tone.

50 years of noodlng makes for an experienced noodler.

Someday they'll make that 'Not Suck' switch.

Okay, Boomer.

Texas Blues

Is that supposed to be an insult, or admission?

Al.

You're a crusty old bastige.

And I have not always agreed with you.

But I've always liked and respected you.

Screw that cats comment.

They use the boomer thang when they have nothing coherent to say.

Put that shit on auto-ignore.

KR1

danieldoranie got a bit of a smack-down here, IMO. I didn't read that he felt the only thing keeping him from obtaining boomer tone was his guitar parts or setup, but that he was inquiring about specific part changes (like every other MF who has posted around here since I joined in 2000 or so).

Parts and pieces do make a difference. Playing style and ability make a much greater difference (obviously), but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Guys get tired of reading and writing the same stuff, so some choose to avoid the repetition (myself, included).

Big Al

danieldoranie got a bit of a smack-down here, IMO. I didn't read that he felt the only thing keeping him from obtaining boomer tone was his guitar parts or setup, but that he was inquiring about specific part changes (like every other MF who has posted around here since I joined in 2000 or so).

Parts and pieces do make a difference. Playing style and ability make a much greater difference (obviously), but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Guys get tired of reading and writing the same stuff, so some choose to avoid the repetition (myself, included).

REALLY? I'm not surprised, it's your nature. Maybe, just maybe, if you actually read the thread, you'd see that almost all the replies give detailed answers and hardware tips and suggestions. Of course the op seemed disinterested except to make his shitty little snide comment about the forum.

He didn't get a smack down as you claim and the only truth in your post was "I didn't read...".

KR1

REALLY? I'm not surprised, it's your nature. Maybe, just maybe, if you actually read the thread, you'd see that almost all the replies give detailed answers and hardware tips and suggestions. Of course the op seemed disinterested except to make his shitty little snide comment about the forum.

He didn't get a smack down as you claim and the only truth in your post was "I didn't read...".

Oh I read it, Al. Nice parse-

I'm pretty sure that I've kept a pretty neutral "nature" here. Objectivity doesn't abound on the LPF, thus my observation.

Otherwise, since about 1999 or 2000, you and I have had some great conversations about the subject guitar and many other things that relate to Gibson, including our mutual histories in Kalamazoo. Anything else that you want to address about my remarks here (I'm all ears)? Other than a lot of support for you personally, on a pretty regular basis, I don't know what you're referring to. Otherwise, unwavering reverence to your opinions doesn't serve the discussion a whole lot, you know?

Have a great holiday, and I hope that recoveries are in your near and long-term future.

Kim

Big Al

Oh I read it, Al. Nice parse-

I'm pretty sure that I've kept a pretty neutral "nature" here. Objectivity doesn't abound on the LPF, thus my observation.

Otherwise, since about 1999 or 2000, you and I have had some great conversations about the subject guitar and many other things that relate to Gibson, including our mutual histories in Kalamazoo. Anything else that you want to address about my remarks here (I'm all ears)? Other than a lot of support for you personally, on a pretty regular basis, I don't know what you're referring to. Otherwise, unwavering reverence to your opinions doesn't serve the discussion a whole lot, you know?

Have a great holiday, and I hope that recoveries are in your near and long-term future.

Kim

No recovery I'm afraid. I'm still draining blood and fluids, still locked in the mega sling, my weekly hospital visits to have dead tissue cut away fill me with dread and I've lost hope.

But honestly, this thread is full of the helpful advice, mostly ignored by the op and which you seemed to imply was not provided. The op took the negative stance towards a posted example by another brother and yet no one 'smacked him down' anywhere, which was the point of your post, or am I wrong?

His point was that the reissues could not achieve "Burst Tone". His only point of reference, and the only reference he was interested in was the youtube clip he posted. He was offered help and given points of view more expansive than his narrow and unrealistic viewpoint. His
Boomer post was uncalled for given the nature of the thread until that point.

KR1

No recovery I'm afraid. I'm still draining blood and fluids, still locked in the mega sling, my weekly hospital visits to have dead tissue cut away fill me with dread and I've lost hope.

But honestly, this thread is full of the helpful advice, mostly ignored by the op and which you seemed to imply was not provided. The op took the negative stance towards a posted example by another brother and yet no one 'smacked him down' anywhere, which was the point of your post, or am I wrong?

His point was that the reissues could not achieve "Burst Tone". His only point of reference, and the only reference he was interested in was the youtube clip he posted. He was offered help and given points of view more expansive than his narrow and unrealistic viewpoint. His
Boomer post was uncalled for given the nature of the thread until that point.

Al,

I’m really sorry you have had to endure what you have; I mean that sincerely. My one and only brother (4 years older than you and I) has been fighting a similar battle for about 4 years and it’s daunting. You deserve much credit and let’s let that be the message from me to you.

The rest: My take-away from the thread was clearly different as I felt that the OP may have gotten a bit more birdshot than warranted. IOW, he may not need the “Don’t Suck” switch, just a little frustrated. We’ve been there.

No matter-

KR1

Jesus on a Jazzmaster-

I may have had it wrong (quite)....

Big Al

Al,

I’m really sorry you have had to endure what you have; I mean that sincerely. My one and only brother (4 years older than you and I) has been fighting a similar battle for about 4 years and it’s daunting. You deserve much credit and let’s let that be the message from me to you.
-

I know that, brother. I enjoy our posts and I think I have a pretty good read on you and I've always regarded you as a friend as well as a knowledgeable guy not prone to fancful reaching and tend towards honest observation. Something I value as for me, I can rely upon it.

You have mentioned your brother before and I hope his battle is getting easier. It is hardest for me when dealing with family. I hope he wins. Little victories have a greater impact than those not engaged can fathom. Small setbacks can be devistatingly hard when you fight so hard to maintain, much less post a gain. Allow your brother his emotions. It takes so much effort to present yourself as you were when your emotions or moods are so tied into your fight.

I know I'd rather engage in this than endure witnessing it in a loved one. So much we bury or hide, in order to protect or shield those we love. In many ways the emotional battle is the hardest. The pain is much easier to deal with.

ourmaninthenorth

I can get a tune out of a strung biscuit tin...

When I'm pouring my soul into a playing a piece of music, vintage or modern doesn't make a wank of a difference...it's how it makes me feel that matters. I can play, I can feel, when those two planets align...my bloody DNA smiles.

That's why I play...it's medicine.

I don't flatter myself, I don't deal in false humility. In comparison to others my brains are brand new in the box, but tuck a guitar under me arm, and when I eventually shut the fook up...things happen, often.

I bloody love playing guitars as an act, not an ambition.

This is what happens when the chase stops, and the lived experience begins.

I've served my apprenticeship.

Every man to his trade.

Can you see the unbridled joy after pouring every single thing I know into this guitar for a couple of hours?

bkfoKir.jpg

KR1

Paul,

What a great photo! Says it all-

:salude