• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Chasing Burst Tone

danieldoranie

So I would love to hear from those you who have successfully gotten vintage burst tone out of your modern Gibson Les Paul.

I like many of you are tone chasing and I can’t afford a real Les Paul burst.

I am looking for the kind of saturated tone you hear in this video:

I have yet to play or own a modern Les Paul that can get this tone, including R8s and R9s.

I have tried everything I can think of... 50s wiring, swapping out pickups (tried several makers), swapped out pots (VIP pots), tried various string gauges, upgraded to Faber hardware. Still no closer.

My Les Paul is a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, a Sweetwater exclusive that is non-weight relieved. However, I have owned R8s and R9s too.

So if you have a modern Gibson Les Paul and have been able to get vintage burst tone, how did you do it?

Thanks!

MikeSlub

Administrator
A lot of the saturated tone you are hearing is from that Epiphone Valve Jr. amp. Class A, 5 watts, one EL-84 power tube.

danieldoranie

I own that same head. I am not getting that sound... it’s not an expensive amplifier. By rights I should be able to get that same (or very close to it) tone, but I don’t. It makes me wonder.. “is my pickup height off?” “Am I not dialling the guitar tone and volume correctly?”.

The frustrating thing is my 2009 Gibson Firebird V (with Lollars) sounds JUST LIKE a ‘63 Firebird when I compare it but LP burst tone eludes me.

Some of the saturated tone you are hearing is from that Epiphone amp.

81D1D188-9EF6-474E-A1DC-208A32FE355C.jpg

Last edited:

El Gringo

Wiring harness with 500K pots and bumble bee paper in oil caps and ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups . www.throbak.com check it out ! I have done this to a # of my Les Pal's with tremendous improvement !

Last edited:

Garincha

Wiring harness with 500K pots and bumble bee paint in oil caps and ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups . www.throbak.com check it out ! I have done this to a # of my Les Pal's with tremendous improvement !

Yep, exactely. He probably has 300k pots in that fiddle and 500k will improve things a lot.

But the biggest improvement will be the Throbaks. I had the 101 Plus for ten years and loved them (still do). But recently I changed to the KZ-115s, because I was shooting for a very special burst Sound (the Ronnie Montrose/Peter Weihe burst).

So my advice would be to sent the youtube-link with the desired Sound to Jon and have him give a recommendation. That's what I did and he came up with the KZ-115. I wouldn't have thought about those, but with A4 magnets (I chose them after listening to the "chasing Oscar" soundfiles by Dough und Pat) I was able to nail that sound.

zacknorton

Not that there’s anything wrong with the Epiphone low watt amp.... but c’mon. That’s a little more than an odd coupling.

Isnt they a little like taking hi-def pictures with a pin hole camera.

On the other hand, maybe it’s further proof that the guitar delivers on the myth?

cincyguitar

My Les Paul thru my new Marshall Origin 20 can get that sound...awesome amp...try it you'll like it...:dude:

mdubya

Having the talent of Barrie Cadogan helps, too. He has the amp cranked and is just opening the volume pots on the guitar to taste.

FWIW - he favors P-90's and single coils.

Texas Blues

The answer to the question.

Is right here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Suud0wxDB3c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

danieldoranie

Sincerely NOT trying to be a dick but that just sounds like a modern Les Paul. Maybe if I could hear it solo and with a mic on the amp I could tell.

Is right here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Suud0wxDB3c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

danieldoranie

I have 50s wiring and I am using VIP pots and PIO caps at uF0.022... I am thinking it is my bridge I bought the Fabre conversion kit where you are supposed to tap
the holes but apparently my luthier did not go this extra mile, I will take it a new guy.

I have been considering shelling out for ThroBak PAFs... it has Sanford Magnetics Model 22 PAFs now.

I will probably try to source an old Lafayette capacitor too.

Frustrating!

Wiring harness with 500K pots and bumble bee paint in oil caps and ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups . www.throbak.com check it out ! I have done this to a # of my Les Pal's with tremendous improvement !

mdubya

Is right here.

Ah, yes! The coily cable of tone! Toanz! Killer LP tone. Great drummer, too. :yah

Garincha

I have 50s wiring and I am using VIP pots and PIO caps at uF0.022... I am thinking it is my bridge I bought the Fabre conversion kit where you are supposed to tap
the holes but apparently my luthier did not go this extra mile, I will take it a new guy.

I have been considering shelling out for ThroBak PAFs... it has Sanford Magnetics Model 22 PAFs now.

I will probably try to source an old Lafayette capacitor too.

Frustrating!

If you already have caps with the proper values, there is no point in sourcing old caps. PIO drys out over time and most of the caps from the 50s are basically trash by now. You will of course find a change in sound, because broken means they have drifted in value very far. The change will be obvious, though not for the better I'm afraid. Old caps which are still working, are still in the guitars they came with. Old caps that are sold on Ebay are most likely nothing you would really want.

Regarding the installation of the Faber bridge: What do you mean by "tapping the hole"?

The biggest change in your situation will certainly be the pickups. I never heard of Sanford Magnetics. That doesn't mean anything though, since there are so many aftermarket pickups these days. There ist also many variations among the original PAFs either. They were wound on at least four different machines and Gibson used five different magnets. So that leaves a lot room for quite some different flavours. And anybody has his own idea of a "perfect PAF sound".

So my recommendation would really be: Get in touch with one of the winders, sent them the link to the Youtube video and see what they will recommend. I did that with Jon Gundry and a very special guitar that I wanted to replicate and I couldn't be happier with the result.

But at the end of the day: Maybe it's just the guitar itself. You can't turn a guitar into something completely different. When the guitar just doesn't sound at least a bit in the ballpark, all aftermarket parts won't help.

El Gringo

Yep, exactely. He probably has 300k pots in that fiddle and 500k will improve things a lot.

But the biggest improvement will be the Throbaks. I had the 101 Plus for ten years and loved them (still do). But recently I changed to the KZ-115s, because I was shooting for a very special burst Sound (the Ronnie Montrose/Peter Weihe burst).

So my advice would be to sent the youtube-link with the desired Sound to Jon and have him give a recommendation. That's what I did and he came up with the KZ-115. I wouldn't have thought about those, but with A4 magnets (I chose them after listening to the "chasing Oscar" soundfiles by Dough und Pat) I was able to nail that sound.

Jon Gundry is the best and he will be a big help www.throbak.com

Tim

What pick are you using? A thicker pick will help bring out that fundamental tone, but may sacrifice the clarity in doing so. A Dunlop Jazz 207 or Flow 1.5mm may help.

mdubya

What pick are you using? A thicker pick will help bring out that fundamental tone, but may sacrifice the clarity in doing so. A Dunlop Jazz 207 or Flow 1.5mm may help.

I've heard it said that a big part of Jimmy Page's tone is a thin, flimsy, nylon pick ~ .50.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
"Chasing Burst Tone"

I think it is a waste of time.
Find your tone, and keep on rockin'! :yah