• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Chasing Burst Tone

ourmaninthenorth

Yes I can! :dude:

And, that ain't no biscuit tin! :hee

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

No Tom, but this one is.... a whereabouts mystery solved and a nice Jammie Dodger in one fell swoop :hee

rhrub0G.jpg

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
The answer to the question.

Is right here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Suud0wxDB3c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The pickups in this guitar are ThroBak SLE-101 Plus pickups.

Texas Blues

The pickups in this guitar are ThroBak SLE-101 Plus pickups.

I don't know if those pup's made a difference in that guitar over say...

Vintage PAF's.

Or any other pup's

Maybe they did.

I will say this.

Darren Glover.

With that guitar.

Those pup's.

That amp.

That band.

That venue.

It all came together.

Pure awesome fucking rock n' roll music!

And I will also go on to say this...

When people come to this forum.

And want to know what a modern era Les Paul can sound like and what it can do in the right hands...

That video should be a stickey on this forum and direct them to it.

I can't play like that.

And I can't sound like that.

But it inspires me in a way I can't describe.

All I know.

Is it makes me want to pick up a Les Paul and rock the hell out of it!

Have mercy!

pqs

I’ve played some really nice R9s. In particular there was a 2017, a 2018 and a 2015 TH that were amazing. My absolute favorite was the 60th Anniversary R9 that I own. I’ve since played other 60th anniversary R9s that were absolutely phenomenal, but I still think my R9 has something special. Not saying that 2019 is the absolute best year, just that I bonded with my R9 in a way that I haven’t experienced with any other guitar.

I was at one point tempted to swap the pickups in order to get a more distinctive difference between the bridge and neck outputs. It wasn’t an issue when I was practicing alone, but in a band context, I wasn’t getting a desired increase in volume for solos. However, a minor tweak to the pickups height and finding the right volume tone knobs combination did the trick. That was awesome because I really liked how the guitar sounded.

Anyway, I’m not sure how close I get to the burst tone, but I’m head over heels in love with the tone on my guitar. So much so, that I’m hesitant to changing anything on it. My friends agree with me that my R9 just sounds fantastic. I’d be curious to have my guitar be played by someone who has experience with real burst and hear what they have so say about it.

KR1

Vintage PAF's.

Or any other pup's

Maybe they did.

I will say this.

Darren Glover.

With that guitar.

Those pup's.

That amp.

That band.

That venue.

It all came together.

And want to know what a modern era Les Paul can sound like and what it can do in the right hands...

I can't play like that.

All I know.

Have mercy!

I love that video / “Fun with an electric guitar!”

That’s the draw, always has been!

Thanks for posting that, TB.

Big Al

Vintage PAF's.

Or any other pup's

Maybe they did.

I will say this.

Darren Glover.

With that guitar.

Those pup's.

That amp.

That band.

That venue.

It all came together.

I can't play like that.

All I know.

Have mercy!

Well, that's all fine and dandy, Tex, and I'd agree, but the OP done tole you, 'Burst Tone it ain't'. So there's that, and I'd disagree.

Texas Blues

Well, that's all fine and dandy, Tex, and I'd agree, but the OP done tole you, 'Burst Tone it ain't'. So there's that, and I'd disagree.

Al, you and I are just a coupla' old guitar playin' farts.

You can come on in my kitchen any day.

Pull up a chair and rest your weary feet.

And tell me a story or too.

While I do the cookin'.

Not all of us are chefs.

But ever body knows what good food tastes like.

All my best to you sir!

Big Al

Al, you and I are just a coupla' old guitar playin' farts.

You can come on in my kitchen any day.

Pull up a chair and rest your weary feet.

And tell me a story or too.

While I do the cookin'.

Not all of us are chefs.

But ever body knows what good food tastes like.

All my best to you sir!

Only if I could help and if you'd not laff, too hard, maybe join me in some tremolo'd Hill Country Blues groove to sip beer by. Sumptin' simple, soulful and deep pocket groove. Can't play as well but still have the touch and can toe tap a mean beat.

But, that be thirsty doin's

uncajoey

There’s a video out there (I’ll link it if I find it again) of Clapton sitting in with Asleep at the Wheel. He jumps on stage, straps on an unfamiliar guitar, twiddles a few knobs, and guess what comes out? Clapton!

Texas Blues

There’s a video out there (I’ll link it if I find it again) of Clapton sitting in with Asleep at the Wheel. He jumps on stage, straps on an unfamiliar guitar, twiddles a few knobs, and guess what comes out? Clapton!

Guess what.

No matter the guitar I play.

It still sounds like me.

Crappy.

And then theres that one day.

In a hundred days.

That I sound especially not so crappy.

Burst tone is awesome.

But it can't help me.

Tarcisioo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkGCvLstPrE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that ain't the tone, I don't know what is it. Unfortunately OP doesn't have the ears.

Some people choose to live fairy lives with fairy tales of achieving the end of the rainbow.

A guitar is a tool of making music, if you can't be satisfied with your music even spending every penny you have on it, the problem is within yourself.

He probably thinks great players get their tone by buying expensive gear, and not working their asses out on learning and feeling comfortable with strings under your fingers.

Tell me if the video of Joe B playing a stock CC isn't the burst tone. Just say it.

Mitch88

A set of Throbak DT-102 MXVs & a JEL Vintage spec 50's wiring harness got me fairly close to what I approximate to be a Burst-ish Boomer tone.

I've never been in the same room with a Burst or played one, so I've never actually heard the sound of one. The dynamics and sound those Throbaks, in conjunction with the pots, put out are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion. A phenomenal product and I'd recommend anybody, to splurge on a set if they want to get close to a vintage PAF sound. They are fantastic.

I also think the Bloombuckers made by Tone Specific sound spectacular, as well.

I say "sound" because "tone" comes from your fingers not a set of guitar pickups. :)

23tck

Heres what I would do.
1. Figure out a string type- Steel for bright tones, Nickel for mellow tones

2. Next turn the amp up and your guitar down- my guitars volume knobs like between 2 and 7 and the tones between 0 and 9

3. Next select the middle position and grab a flat blade screwdriver

4. Adjust the neck pickup up or down until the guitar squawks or pops the note

5. A/B your neck pickup with your bridge pickup with the guitar pots at ten-what your trying to do here is make sure there's not a massive change in volume from one pickup to another

6. Repeat step four if necessary remembering to turn your pots back to an ear friendly tone.

7. Adjust pole pieces for a good tone - fine tune your sound

8. Shut up and play yer geetar

randall

Vintage PAF's.

Or any other pup's

Maybe they did.

I will say this.

Darren Glover.

With that guitar.

Those pup's.

That amp.

That band.

That venue.

It all came together.

I can't play like that.

All I know.

Have mercy!

How could i argue this? you are right!

Big Daddy Class

I took my 2016 Standard in for a set up. It is one of my best looking guitars but I never felt it had superior tone or the "it" we all look for. When I went back to pick it up, I walked back to the workbench area to find the luthier playing it. He is a professional musician and his buddies were just standing around listening to him play my guitar. One of them said to him (did not know it was mine and without even noticing me behind him)--"that is not even YOU. That sound is that guitar! As I listened, I realized it was not my guitar that lacked "it", it was me! When I took it home, I still could not get those sounds I heard there when it was being played. I am continuing to try to improve--but I learned instantly in that moment, there is nothing wrong with my guitar. The sounds are in there.

Flogger

Bursts were the thing that my ears first imprinted on. The guys I liked coming up all played the same kind if guitar. Clapton, Kossoff, Bachman, Page, Taylor, Walsh all had them.

Later on, when I was in retail, the guys would discuss The Tone, which was limited to a bridge humbucker plugged into a raging stack. Even back then I knew that it was only one tone among many, but that is what they fixated on.

Since I started in the early 70s, older guitars were prioritized: "They just don't make them like they used to." Which was true at the time. If you wanted a "good" guitar you bought an old one. And that was mostly because we were unsure of our ability to pick out a "good" new one.

One night at a party someone stuck a 57 Goldtop in my hands, and it was so obviously good, it pulled stuff out of me I had never heard before. That is when the switch flipped.

A good guitar inspires you and makes you play better. I have several modern instruments now that have that same effect on me, my ability to sniff out keepers has grown over nearly five decades. To the point that I have mostly offed the vintage pieces, realized obsene profits from those sales, replaced the old with new instruments that I prefer to the older ones.

Heresy, I know.

TexasFM3

I too have been "chasing tone" in my sound. Like all, I too was changing many things, but never really finding what I was after. Then I found it. What seemed to pull everything together was the Burstbucker Pro pickup which took flight in 2003 or 2002 depending on if the theories are correct. These, at the time, were "Hot" pickups, but opened up a better use of all 4 knobs on my LP - in my humble opinion. There was something about that ALNICO 5 creation that just made my setup come to life and when I heard the sound - I knew I found MY SOUND. Of course so much still can come from the amp and the pedals, but when I play even on a small practice amp, I can still get my ears the satisfaction they need.

I can say that Gibson pickups are nothing short of amazing. I have tried all Dimarzio and Seymour, but to my ears it was the BB Pro that gave me what I wanted.