• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender Vibroverb 63 reissue

Edgrim

Hello guys,

I've just bought an used Fender Vibroverb 63 reissue. Could you advice me another speakers? Those stock oxfords are not perfect for me. The amp is too dark and bassy so it has a problem to cooperate with any overdrive.

By the way - do you know what is the year of this one?

Thanks a lot!

695414bcec0ed587.jpg

08ab95f179c76b79.jpg

goldtop0

Good score congrats.
If you want to go with a couple of Celestion G10 Gold alnicos that might be a better option compared to the Oxfords.
These were produced '90-'95.

Tim

Pretty sure Eminence still makes a 20w that is the same as the blue frame alnico that was used in some early 90's Fender amps, but it's a black frame now.

sonar

Pretty sure Eminence still makes a 20w that is the same as the blue frame alnico that was used in some early 90's Fender amps, but it's a black frame now.

Voice coil on the newer Emi’s are kapton instead of paper. They can handle more wattage and sound pretty good in some amps, but don’t sound as sweet as the early Emi Blue frame run.

BluesRockGuy

Thank you guys. Do you know Eminence Ragin Cajun? They seems to be an good option too, especially for more overdriven sounds.

corpse

My friend Matt Hughes- Banker Custom Guitars- uses one of these stock to demonstrate his instruments. This is a killer amp as-is. Try messing with the tone settings- put the bass on 1-2 and the treble on 6-7. The amp is from 1990- I have a passel of the 60's browns and this is right there.

El Gringo

Good score congrats.
If you want to go with a couple of Celestion G10 Gold alnicos that might be a better option compared to the Oxfords.
These were produced '90-'95.

+1 , Celestion is a very good choice for a more overdriven sound !

Tim

Voice coil on the newer Emi’s are kapton instead of paper. They can handle more wattage and sound pretty good in some amps, but don’t sound as sweet as the early Emi Blue frame run.

They still make the 20w paper version with either alnico or ceramic magnets, they're just not blue - here. The Kapton version is 35w.

deytookerjaabs

In my limited experience with that amp & speakers I don't recall anything dark or overly bass sounding?

Huh.

Those Emi sigs look cool regardless. I need a pair of something for my super reverb to match the two cts's. Currently has a hefty pair of 10" ceramics that make it...hefty.

herb

Those are great amps. Mine is stock and the original speakers work for me. I'm with the other guy that said make adjustments to your tone controls. Good score. Have fun!

cincyguitar

The Vibroverb reissue is a cool amp...I wanted one when they came out but never had cash...kinda surprised Fender stopped making them so soon....Congrats on that cool amp !

GreenBurst

I have a '63 Vibroverb Reissue and changed the Oxford speakers for 8ohm Weber AlNiCo and Ceramic as follows;

Weber 10F125P - Vintage Series Ceramic 10 inch Speaker

Weber 10A125P - Vintage Series AlNiCo 10 inch Speaker

Huge tone improvement. Much more articulation and makes you realize how muddy the Oxfords really were. Well worth the cost.

akstrat61

Don't be afraiad to try mixed speakers. I use to use a Weber and an Oxford in my BFVR and it was magical! MHO:dude:

MikeSlub

Administrator
I own one of those amps and agree that the reissue Oxfords are pretty dark sounding. The contrast is dramatic when using the amp side by side with a Custom Vibrolux Reverb (which I also have). I have used the Eminence Legend 1028k speakers and like them. :hank

Last edited:

Wally

+1 on the ALK 1028...great speaker in any amp, ime.
The CVR, which is based on the VRRI, is a quite different amp. The lack of a negative feedback loop changes things considerably, ime.

As to the age of the amp, Edgrim, there may be a two letter date code somewhere there. fender reinstituted the two letter code in 1990....with A being 1990. The second letter will be the month of the year. It would be handy IF the ‘AB’ in the serial number indicates February, 1990, but I do not know that that is the case.....but it may be???? Other than that, one dates by component EIA codes.

Edgrim

Thanks for you help guys.

I put there 2x Eminence Ragin Cajun - it's really good now but I would like to test also mix of Ragin Cajun and Copperhead.

mistersnappy

I've had one for about 20 years which I got used with mismatched Celestions. Pretty great cleans but really doesn't break up when pushed so I use a dirt pedal. Its seen a lot of shows, rehearsals, trunks, etc. and never has given me a lick of trouble: probably even has the same tubes as when I got it! The cloth is brittle now and is ripping in several places and the brown tolex is turning a sort of green color in places which just gives it "mojo". lol. Its built like a tank!

Thank you, Fender!

deytookerjaabs

I've had one for about 20 years which I got used with mismatched Celestions. Pretty great cleans but really doesn't break up when pushed so I use a dirt pedal. Its seen a lot of shows, rehearsals, trunks, etc. and never has given me a lick of trouble: probably even has the same tubes as when I got it! The cloth is brittle now and is ripping in several places and the brown tolex is turning a sort of green color in places which just gives it "mojo". lol. Its built like a tank!

Thank you, Fender!

I had a TRRI like that. Bought brand new in the late 90's, saw mountains of playing/rehearsals/gigs, fell down some stairs, went through a few speaker swaps and was just road hard. Never changed or touched a single thing on that amp. I sold it in 2012 when I bough a '67 Twin with the 60's JBL's for $1,000 as no one was buying the big amps.

Ya can't ask for much more than a decade of dragging the suckers through the mud with zero issues for the up front cost. My first "real" amp was a solid state "Ultimate Chorus" that I rarely used after getting the TRRI yet it only lasted about 5 years before it went belly up then cost more to fix than it was worth.