• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Please help me pick a les Paul!

Ndavis1971

Ok I’m in virgin territory here. I want to get a Les Paul and use same type of pickups Peter Green used. I’ve been told to look at the 59 historic reissues and throbak peter green pickups. But I have no idea if you’d recommend this. I want as close to a true 59 as I can get without buying a real one. Want to keep total at 5k or below if I can. 2-3k even better and ideal. Hide glue etc not important if it doesn’t effect the sound. Also don’t want chambered or anything if that affects tone adversely. I have a heavy as hell gold top with mini humbuckers and the weight definitely helps the sound. Open to all suggestions on model and pickups. All these reissues make my head spin. Thanks in advance !

Musicman

For $2-3 grand you can get a nice R8 and put those pickups in it.

Ndavis1971

So should I get a heritage h150 or les Paul historic? Someone told be don’t buy a custom
shop standard. Make sure it’s a historic. Problem is with my price range most don’t offer returns on reverb. So I don’t know how consistent these historical are. Any thoughts or models would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I have 3k or so to spend and if the historics are the way to go I’ll do it. Also should I get a VOS or a Murphy aged and is there a difference in sound/finish?. Thanks

Big Al

So should I get a heritage h150 or les Paul historic? Someone told be don’t buy a custom
shop standard. Make sure it’s a historic. Problem is with my price range most don’t offer returns on reverb. So I don’t know how consistent these historical are. Any thoughts or models would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I have 3k or so to spend and if the historics are the way to go I’ll do it. Also should I get a VOS or a Murphy aged and is there a difference in sound/finish?. Thanks

You got a couple of good answers and come back with more gobbley gook. Maybe do some real research and do your own homework as you are all over the place and seem like you know nothin' for talking about spending 5K. Someone told you?? You come to a Gibson Forum and ask about Heritage? Figure out what you do know. Figure out what you really want and why. This info has been ready and available and all the info you need is there if you really care.

You want as close to a 59 as possible without buying one. Why? How many 59's have you played? What 59 features are so important to you that you must have as accurate a replica as possible?
Why bring up Heritage? They don't make a 59 Les Paul replica. VOS, Murphy aged? Do some reading and learn something so you know what you want and why.

Ndavis1971

Thanks. I am inquiring into a 1998 R8 with an historic makeover. Any input on that year would be great. Appears some specs more off than later years, such as distance to pickups, but if it doesn’t affect tone I don’t really care. I’m gonna replace the pickups anyhow with either Throbaks or Barenkuckle Peter Greens. If someone has a preference for one or the other, that’d be great input as well.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks. I am inquiring into a 1998 R8 with an historic makeover. Any input on that year would be great. Appears some specs more off than later years, such as distance to pickups, but if it doesn’t affect tone I don’t really care. I’m gonna replace the pickups anyhow with either Throbaks or Barenkuckle Peter Greens. If someone has a preference for one or the other, that’d be great input as well.

An hour before this post, you started another thread about a 1996 R8.
Now you are looking at a 1998 and wanting info about that particular year.
Very confusing! :wah

Ndavis1971

An hour before this post, you started another thread about a 1996 R8.
Now you are looking at a 1998 and wanting info about that particular year.

Very confusing! :wah

Sorry Tom, typo. Meant 1996. Thanks for catching that. Here are some pix:

i-FTTDgS4-S.jpgi-qVJshrD-S.jpgi-n7xL2Jt-S.jpgi-n6VtFFx-S.jpg

Last edited:

Archetype

I have Throbak Peter Green pickups in a 2009 reissue. They sound great, but my tone when playing that guitar sounds nothing like Peter Green's. And I'm glad, because I am not Peter Green. I bought the reissue and the Peter Green pickups on a hunch that they'd help me create certain tones that I hear in my head. I got lucky - it worked.

Big Al

You should know what you want. You should know why you want it. If you plan on modifying it, you should have a clear reason why and a plan to accomplish the desired result.

If you have a question about a specifc step in your plan, you will find helpful info an clarity on such questions.

Ndavis1971

Thanks for all the input. So the seller of said guitar above with pics has a no return policy. So per your recs there are two historic R8’s I’m gonna personally play to see which one sounds best.
I don’t want to just make a blind leap and hope I find a good one. I’ll keep all the original parts if I replace them. I ordered the bare knuckle PG pickups. They recommended long shaft. Good thing big al caught that and corrected it for me. Thanks again!

Big Al

Thanks for all the input. So the seller of said guitar above with pics has a no return policy. So per your recs there are two historic R8’s I’m gonna personally play to see which one sounds best.
I don’t want to just make a blind leap and hope I find a good one. I’ll keep all the original parts if I replace them. I ordered the bare knuckle PG pickups. They recommended long shaft. Good thing big al caught that and corrected it for me. Thanks again!

Good, smart move. How can anyone be expected to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar sight unseen, on faith alone. No returns? No sale. You will find your guitar, and you will know it, when it's in your hands.

Remember to allow for setups. Lots of used guitars that may be perfect for someone get overlooked for sloppy setups. I'm pretty good at them, but I don't have ESP! Asking for a new set of strings, if the strings are dead or rusty, on a guitar you are seriously considering, is not unreasonable. Same thing if the action is out of wack, too low so the strings choke or rattle, too high to be comfortable or allow the guitar to play in tune.

I've found guitars that played and sounded awful, just turdalicious, with bowed necks, rusty strings and in one case a pickup which had the treble side of a pickup sunk below the ring as the screw had been loosened and had become unattached from the leg!!

It is amazing how a decent setup can transform some of these. On some it just proves the guitar is a dud. But on others it unleashes the tone beast! I bought that turd with the hanging pickup after I was allowed to set it up. It is a favourite and I've had it almost 20yrs!!

You'll know, don't rush it. When you find that R8 or R9 that speaks to you it will so have been worth it.

Realey

Ok I’m in virgin territory here. I want to get a Les Paul and use same type of pickups Peter Green used. I’ve been told to look at the 59 historic reissues and throbak peter green pickups. But I have no idea if you’d recommend this. I want as close to a true 59 as I can get without buying a real one. Want to keep total at 5k or below if I can. 2-3k even better and ideal. Hide glue etc not important if it doesn’t effect the sound. Also don’t want chambered or anything if that affects tone adversely. I have a heavy as hell gold top with mini humbuckers and the weight definitely helps the sound. Open to all suggestions on model and pickups. All these reissues make my head spin. Thanks in advance !

I suggest you use Epiphone Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar (Vintage Sunburst), its a good les paul guitar if you are new with les pauls.