• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Considering buying a 2012 R0, looking for thoughts on the price.

ledpaalbs

Hello fellow Lesterites, long time lurker first time poster here. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong sub forum, feel free to move it if that is the case.

I've come across a gorgeous, near mint 2012 R0 that I'm considering purchasing, but I'm not sure how much it's worth. I'm hoping some of you fine folks could give me a pointer as to how much I should pay for this guitar.

Some basic info:

Seller says he's the first and only owner.
He does not remember what he paid for it.
The guitar is as good as mint, I couldn't find a single blemish on the body, neck or headstock.
The guitar is completely original, has not been modified at all.

He's asking $3940/€3570 (converted from my native currency, NOK).

What do y'all think?

Some pics:

LP.jpg

LP2.jpg

LP3.jpg

LP4.jpg

LP5.jpg

El Gringo

Looks right to me as does the price , which is in the ball park . Nice Lester !

goldtop0

It's a good looking LP, seems strange to me that he can't remember what he paid for it seeing as how come that's the focal point of any purchase.......mind you he wouldn't want to tell you anyway I think.
Looks like he's kept all the case candy which is a good thing.
The 2012s had laminated fretboards, now I'm not exactly sure if that was for the total of the CustomShop production of LPs that year(others may be able to chip in here with that info)
but after the appearance of the more highly spec'd '13s the '12s took on a B rating(in my mind anyway) and dropped in price as I recall because of that.
$US3940 is I suspect a higher price than what he may have paid for it. My two '13s new were US$3550(the stated price) in early 2013 when I bought them from a forum dealer on here.

Last edited:

Grandturk

As an owner of a wonderful R8 from 2012 I can say without hesitation that the guitar you’re looking at could be a great playing and sounding axe. However, because of the 2 piece fretboards, it will not retain the same value as other years. I would use this as a bargaining point to lowball.

marshall1987

The two-piece fingerboard appears on most Custom Shop guitars in 2012 and was a response by Gibson to the federal seizure of Indian rosewood stocks ....which were alleged to have been illegally imported, a violation of the Cites Act. Accordingly, 2012 Gibsons have a certain stigma attached. :laugh2:

If it were me, I would deduct $1000 dollars off the price of a 2012 R0, compared to a comparable 2013 R0, which does not have the two-piece fingerboard.

Big Al

Seems like a fair price for a beautiful R0 in exceptional condition with case candy. Doesn't matter one bit what he paid and I never ask what someone paid and I never tell what I paid.

renderit

Seems like a fair price for a beautiful R0 in exceptional condition with case candy. Doesn't matter one bit what he paid and I never ask what someone paid and I never tell what I paid.

'ceptin' hookers and blow. Gots to keep it honest...

Guitardon

2 pc fretboard, R0, plaintop. None of these are great selling points. I like 60s, but a lot of people don’t. Some people here on the form would be nuts about the two piece fretboard and not buy it. Plane tops never demand a premium. There’s a lot of negatives here and seeing flame top 60s out there for not much more than this guitar, I would think it’s slightly overpriced. As far as what he paid who cares it’s what he’s asking that counts. I have a 2016 Murphy aged 60 and considered selling it but don’t just because of the limited interest in that particular model. I paid a lot for it because it was Murphy age but I know I’ll suffer when I go to sell it. So I would try to bargain the guy down based on the things I just mentioned.

good luck

Tommy Tourbus

2013 was the year they took off the truss rod condom and started using hide glue on the fretboards and neck joint. And 2014 was the year they started using hide glue to glue the tops. If I'm buying over the web I'd personally look for a 2013 or later especially since the price diff isn't all that much more, and I've found the truss rod condom thing and possibly the different glue do, in general, seem to make a diff. An in person purchase is different though because you can pick a guitar based on how much it speaks to you when you play it, regardless of the year/specs.

With that said, I wouldn't pay over 3k for a used 7 year old historic. 2500 - 3k seems to be the range on a R0 with a plain top. On a 2012 especially stick to the lower end of the range. Almost 4k on the one you posted is too high. I'm sure the seller would love to get that for it lol

Last edited: