• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Celestion 7442 speaker 10"

goldtop0

Hi fellas, I'm after further information about this speaker.
From what I can gather these were made with both alnico and ceramic magnets?? and with a 10 watt rating?
Were any made with pulsonic cones back in the '60s?

F-Hole

They're an excellent speaker, a personal favourite. From what I know of them I've only ever seen the alnico version, which was used on early Marshall amps (including pinstripe era). All those are 16 (15) ohms and they can handle a bit more than 10 watts. The early ones have a cross-hatch on the magnet cover, the later ones don't. The OEM cones are a bit of a mystery. They're all marked "NIB", and appear to be Pulsonic. They're quite punchy and mid-oriented speakers, but drive very well indeed. A pinstripe 8x10 is something to behold when pushed, I much prefer it to a 4x12, particularly in a band setting.

goldtop0

They're an excellent speaker, a personal favourite. From what I know of them I've only ever seen the alnico version, which was used on early Marshall amps (including pinstripe era). All those are 16 (15) ohms and they can handle a bit more than 10 watts. The early ones have a cross-hatch on the magnet cover, the later ones don't. The OEM cones are a bit of a mystery. They're all marked "NIB", and appear to be Pulsonic. They're quite punchy and mid-oriented speakers, but drive very well indeed. A pinstripe 8x10 is something to behold when pushed, I much prefer it to a 4x12, particularly in a band setting.

Thanks for the info John.
I can imagine the 8x10 being a heavy beast and also extremely rare indeed.