• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Surge protector for Pedalboard

Steve Lafferty

I only use 5 pedals when I play. I never use all 5 at the same time. Mostly just 2 or 3. If I built my own pedalboard, would it work to use a Surge Protector for power on the board instead of having to buy a power unit? I'm on a limited budget so I was just wondering if I Velcro a surge protector to the board and plug each pedal into that would it work or could I cause problems?? THanks so much in advance for your help.

J T

If you are powering your pedals with wall warts, the surge protector will need lots of space between the receptacles or you will have to skip every other one taking up half of the surge protector and leaving half empty due to the size of the warts. There are surge protectors spaced out to compensate for wall warts but not all of them are. If you use a One Spot, you can power your pedals with that and just use one receptacle in pretty much any surge protector you can get.

zacknorton

plenty of power strip options are wallwart friendly. It’s a fine way to go to power up and down.

Big Al

plenty of power strip options are wallwart friendly. It’s a fine way to go to power up and down.

Excellent way to ramp up noise. Proper iso protected and filtered power supplys are not that expensive. If so, you'd be better off with batteries. Only 2 or 3? 2 or 3 batteries will do it.

deytookerjaabs

I get noise just from one pedal plugged in with an adapter as I use a looper at home a good deal and that alone annoys me, lol. So, yeah, like Big Al said just get a proper power box. I have a few voodoo labs ones from when I used to use a board and you can plug in a million things noise free. Also, I bought mine pretty cheap used and they appear to be built like tanks FWIW. These days if I bring one or two pedals around I just use batteries.

Texas Blues

Insert pedal hotness.

Into Voodoo Lab sex box.

Plug that unit into Wally World cheapass power strip.

Microwave Totino's Pizza Rolls.

Crack open a can of shitty cold hoskey.

Strap on Gibson guitar.

Crank amplification to 11.

So your neighbors can be entertained too.

Enjoy.

We live in the Matrix.

There is no noise.

Big Al

I get noise just from one pedal plugged in with an adapter as I use a looper at home a good deal and that alone annoys me, lol. So, yeah, like Big Al said just get a proper power box. I have a few voodoo labs ones from when I used to use a board and you can plug in a million things noise free. Also, I bought mine pretty cheap used and they appear to be built like tanks FWIW. These days if I bring one or two pedals around I just use batteries.

Voodoo Labs power supplies are what I use. They make a wide range of models and options to cover most needs. I use multple FX boards that are set up for specific purpose. I have a Hendrix board just for Jimi/Trower thang and the Voodoo Labs give me the high power I need for the Univibes.

Find a good used one, [make sure it is an appropriate model for your needs], power cables can be bought if the supply lacks them. I find I need extra 9v battery clip cables to power my vintage pedals that don't have external power options.

A well planned and executed small board need not be a high dollar affair and the utility makes it a bargin.

J T

Yeah Voodoo labs power supplies are great. I have an older one velcroed and tie wrapped underneath my board. It's dead quiet and will power all of my pedals except for the Infinity looper which requires it's own 18v power supply.