• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Celebrating 30 years together . . .

Archetype

Les Paul Standard purchased November 1989 at DJ's Music in Berwyn, Illinois for the then-princely (to me) sum of $795. We've been together for 30 years this month. Celebrating our milestone with this, my first ever post.

LesterP

Great looking Standard. Nice to have a guitar for that long, as it becomes an old friend. :)

Big Al

This year marked 40 years of wailing on Bad Betty, my main squeeze for most of that time. The guitar is like family.

Archetype

Thanks for the welcoming replies !!

My '89 is definitely an old friend, a permanent family member. The herd has enlarged over the years, but she is continuity itself - through so many wildly improbable twists and turns of life. And she exudes the enthusiasm, possibilities, excitement, and joy of those bright, fresh earlier days.

Musicman

So cool congrats! Wish I had the cash back in the day. :salude

El Gringo

That is a most beautiful Les Paul both in figure and color . My compliments !

Archetype

Congrats and lovely guitar!

89 Standard..does it have the 490/498 pickup set?

How much does it weigh ?

Hi RocknRollShakeUp. She came stock with the Bill Lawrence circuit-board pickups ("The Original" HB-R and HB-L). I substituted a set of Duncan Pearly Gates, which sound really good in this guitar (the neck is nicely un-muddy). I still have the stock pickups, stored in a secure location.

As to weight, I have never actually measured. But she was noticeably lighter than any Les Paul I had ever held before. The sales guy was surprised, too, as he picked her up to hand over the counter for me to check her out. She's in the same weight range as my later-acquired reissues.

Couple other factoids about this guitar:

• Three of the stock tuners were poorly functioning (gear slippage). The sales guy said he'd ask Gibson for replacements, but doubted they would admit to shipping a guitar with bad tuners. But Gibson sent them, so all was good.
  • The current knobs are non-original. The ambered "early-90's reissue"-style knobs looked better with her coloration. I still have the original gold speed knobs.

Froggie

What a beautiful looking guitar. You've kept it in great condition. Here's to the next 30 years :)

Texsunburst59

That's a BEAUTIFUL LP you've got there.

It's in amazing shape for a 30 yr. old guitar.

I scored my very 1st LP back '84. and I'm celebrating 35 yrs. with mine.

Was practicing with my band in a garage when one of our buddies showed up with a LP case.

He said he needed to sell his guitar because he really wanted to buy something in the next 2 days.

He opened up the case, and I saw the most beautiful Gibson LP I'd EVER seen in my life .

I told I HAD to have it, and asked what he wanted for it.

He said $500, which was kinda A LOT of money for ME back then.

I told him I had $200 in cash at the house, and could get the $300 to him the next day.

He said he'd to it, and took ownership of the guitar and got him the money borrowed from my parents the next day.

My '80 "Jimmy Wallace" Prototype Quilted LP Standard.

12225332516_1d37a19628_b.jpg

12224773825_11d9bb1f68_b.jpg

Archetype

Texsunburst59: Holy crap - those Jimmy Wallace Les Pauls are WILD !! Beautiful guitar, and what a keeper. Congratulations on 35 years !! Is that a Duncan PAF in the bridge? Oh wait a minute - double cream, maybe Dimarzio?

El Gringo

That's a BEAUTIFUL LP you've got there.

It's in amazing shape for a 30 yr. old guitar.

I scored my very 1st LP back '84. and I'm celebrating 35 yrs. with mine.

Was practicing with my band in a garage when one of our buddies showed up with a LP case.

He said he needed to sell his guitar because he really wanted to buy something in the next 2 days.

He opened up the case, and I saw the most beautiful Gibson LP I'd EVER seen in my life .

I told I HAD to have it, and asked what he wanted for it.

He said $500, which was kinda A LOT of money for ME back then.

I told him I had $200 in cash at the house, and could get the $300 to him the next day.

He said he'd to it, and took ownership of the guitar and got him the money borrowed from my parents the next day.

My '80 "Jimmy Wallace" Prototype Quilted LP Standard.

12225332516_1d37a19628_b.jpg

12224773825_11d9bb1f68_b.jpg

Oh my goodness what a treat that was for me just now . I am reading your post and hadn't scrolled down yet and then bang this most awesome quilt top appears before my eyes and this was a most awesome eye opener for me . Such a great story to go with this beauty as well . Wow , I certainly remember the Jimmy Wallace models as a local vintage shop had several of these models back in the early 90's and they were selling for significantly more than the fine price you paid . What pickups are you using and the double white which looks oh so nice . Once again this is a mighty fine quilt top and great color as well !!!!!!!!!!!

Texsunburst59

Thanks guys.

This is my most prized guitar in my 50+ guitar collection.

It's one of the guitars I still can't believe I own.

To answer your question about the bridge pickup, it is a '84 Dimarzio PAF.

The neck is an original Tim Shaw.

I still have the original Shaw bridge pickup, and only took it out because it was WAY to microphonic with all the gain I was using back in the 80's

I've thought about sticking the Shaw back in the bridge,but I really like the Shaw/ Dimarzio combo so much, that i'll just leave it there.

El Gringo

Thanks guys.

This is my most prized guitar in my 50+ guitar collection.

It's one of the guitars I still can't believe I own.

To answer your question about the bridge pickup, it is a '84 Dimarzio PAF.

The neck is an original Tim Shaw.

I still have the original Shaw bridge pickup, and only took it out because it was WAY to microphonic with all the gain I was using back in the 80's

I've thought about sticking the Shaw back in the bridge,but I really like the Shaw/ Dimarzio combo so much, that i'll just leave it there.

That is so awesome ! I can relate to the microphonic pickup , as I had a set of Burstbucker 1&3 pickups which squealed so bad that I promptly ripped them out of a R8 along with the wiring harness . I replaced them with ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups which was a major improvement along with the getting rid of the annoying squeal . Once again my compliments on such a beautiful Quilt top Les Paul - Bravo !!!!