• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

oddball SG - '68 with factory bigsby?

stork1122

Hello,

Sorry - no pics. Wish i had taken some!!

Local guitar shop has what they claim to be a 1968 SG. It is walnut, has two p90s, "custom" written on the truss rod cover, and a supposedly factory bigsby.

It plays well, and I can't quite seem to get it out of my head. It comes with some sort of certificate of authenticity that says that it is 100% original, but I definitely have never seen an original factory guitar with these specs before. The other interesting thing is that the pots date to 1970. Something doesn't seem right here. Can someone help me out?

I like it a lot, but its definitely a players guitar, and I certainly dont want to pay collector guitar money for this guitar, especially if its not what it cracks up to be. Thanks.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hello,

Sorry - no pics. Wish i had taken some!!

Local guitar shop has what they claim to be a 1968 SG. It is walnut, has two p90s, "custom" written on the truss rod cover, and a supposedly factory bigsby.

It plays well, and I can't quite seem to get it out of my head. It comes with some sort of certificate of authenticity that says that it is 100% original, but I definitely have never seen an original factory guitar with these specs before. The other interesting thing is that the pots date to 1970. Something doesn't seem right here. Can someone help me out?

I like it a lot, but its definitely a players guitar, and I certainly dont want to pay collector guitar money for this guitar, especially if its not what it cracks up to be. Thanks.

Bummer, dude. :2cool

Go back and take some pics. :hmm

Grog

My ‘67 ES-335 has a factory Bigsby & “CUSTOM” engraved on the TRC. My Brother-in-law had bought a ‘72 SG Deluxe that was ordered without a Bigby during a time that the model came with one stock. It also had a the same “CUSTOM” engraved TRC. I’ve seen several other custom ordered Gibsons from this time frame with a custom engraved TRC.

stork1122

Thank you guys. I thought for sure yall would tell me that its been modified and that no such guitar from the factory ever existed. I was told that from 68 to 70 Gibson had a lot of extra parts and they made sure to not let any of them go to waste. Dont know how true that is or not, but makes sense.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thank you guys. I thought for sure yall would tell me that its been modified and that no such guitar from the factory ever existed. I was told that from 68 to 70 Gibson had a lot of extra parts and they made sure to not let any of them go to waste. Dont know how true that is or not, but makes sense.

And we might still say that, when you post photos of it.
Until then, with this limited description, who knows what the heck it is. :wah

Big Al

Why the mystery? Most likely a post 69 as isn't 70 when Walnut Brown became a finish option? If it is the large pickguard version it would be a SG Special, very popular and I've seen lots with Bigsby's, my favorite version in that series.

If it is the later early 70's model with the small LP like tailfin pickguard model, can't help you, imo, the worst made solidbody Gibson made.