• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Would anyone recommend the Marshall 1936V cabinet?

Cliff Gress

I'm looking for a 2x12. This has Celestion G12 Vintage speakers and is closed back.

goldtop0

I always like a part open back cab and did that to my old 1936........cut a little less than half of the mdf panel from the back of it.
Also put in two old Celestion alnicos...........sounds great.
I'm not a big fan of the V30s if that's what is in the one you're looking at.

mdubya

I have a JCM 800 era 1936 that I put Pulsonic Greyback G12M's in more than 25 years ago. It has served me well and sounded great.

Mine is made with plywood. Some eras have been MDF. Not all are created the same. When I bought mine, they were all ply.

goldtop0

I have a JCM 800 era 1936 that I put Pulsonic Greyback G12M's in more than 25 years ago. It has served me well and sounded great.

Mine is made with plywood. Some eras have been MDF. Not all are created the same. When I bought mine, they were all ply.

Mine's the same era cab as yours(plywood) but the back which is mdf as I said, I can pinpoint it to around '85/'86..........my buddy has one that is all ply.

LeonC

What does the "V" denote in the model number 1936V?

I think the "v" designates the use of V30 speakers. The older ones came with other speakers, like G12-T75s, etc.

I built my own 1936 style cab; made it 1" wider and about 1/2" deeper; I've got it loaded with a pair of Scumbacks m75 PVCs and I think it's one of the best sounding 2x12s I've ever used. It's got that really solid low-end that you get from a 4x12 straight cab; not quite to the same degree...but closer than anything else I've used.

20160827_155729.jpg

sonar

I had a late 70's (I think?) 2X12 that predated the 1936. Plywood birch and black cloth, but unlike the 2045 and earliest of the 1936's my cab was 12" deep. It might have been either a bass or keyboard cab and as far as I remember had no discerning markings other than the Marshall logo.

This was back in the 90's when I was clueless about gear and bought it because a friend (who only knew slightly more than me) told me to. He tracked it down and delivered it to me. I plugged it in and used it for a couple years.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Marshall cab like that since. It was a great cab with body and projection that I don't hear from current 2X12 offerings.

mdubya

Mine's the same era cab as yours(plywood) but the back which is mdf as I said, I can pinpoint it to around '85/'86..........my buddy has one that is all ply.

Interesting.

I was more trying to point out that I wasn't so smart for mine being all ply, just dumb luck on my part.

But it is good to know that all weren't weren't necessarily 100% ply.

Mine has the faded grill cloth, so I would guess '85/'86 for mine, too.

Some have been semi-horrified that I ran a 50 watt 2204 through a pair G12M's for all of these years, but I never really thought twice about it. I have A/B'd with my buddy's '68 spec 4x12 clone and there is hardly any difference in tone. He has a really good sounding room, though.

Cliff Gress

The badge on the front of the amp says 1936 Vintage, that must account for the V. The speakers are called Celestion G 12 Vintage, which I think are different than V30s. It is mono/stereo, plywood, jointed and 12" deep.

goldtop0

The badge on the front of the amp says 1936 Vintage, that must account for the V. The speakers are called Celestion G 12 Vintage, which I think are different than V30s. It is mono/stereo, plywood, jointed and 12" deep.

All ply sounds good and it's a modern cab.
I'm presuming you've checked out whether the speakers are Vintage 30s or otherwise. It would seem strange to me if Celestion have made two different labelled speakers with the same specs.

metropolis

I have this cab and I like it.

It says 'Vintage' on the front but the speakers are G12-75Ts, definitely not V30s. Mine is late 90's early 00's I think.

It's good, I've only ever AB'd against a Marshall 4x12 and I'd say it compared very well - good bottom end but more mid punch so it cut through the mix better (in a loud rehearsal with Rickenbacker and bass pedals to compete with!)

Aesthetically I think the size is perfect. Even with a pretty large head (the Laney below) it looks good, and I currently use it with a Kemper on top which also fits perfectly.

1CcmjKQl.jpg

Last edited:

metropolis

OK, I'm just going by the Celestion site which lists them as two different speakers.