• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to replace a Standard PCB with a modded 50‘s wiring PCB (photo guide)

Fire Burst

Being a member of this great forum since a few months and thankful reader so far, I thaught I could give something back: a little guide on how to make a 50's wiring - using a replacement PCB :##.
I'm quite sure, most people who convert a PCB equipped Les Paul to 50‘s wiring want to get rid of the board and replace it with a harness. But there are some, who actually like the PCB and want to keep it. My idea was to replace the modern wiring push/pull pots PCB of my 2016 LP Standard with a modded PCB, fully reversible. Since I couldn't find much information on how to do it, this step by step guide may help others. Besides a second PCB, which I got used from ebay (LP 2017 Studio version with four 500 k audio taper pots, no push/pull) and replacement caps (just to get some mojo...), you need a soldering iron (mine is 60 W, set to 450 °C), some tin and soldering fluid, a little screwdriver to help getting the pots out and tweezers. And I don't recommend to mod a PCB without any soldering experience.

The control cavity before:
IMG_0905.jpg

Carefully taking off the knobs of the p/p pots:
IMG_0902.jpg

Release the quick connectors before loosening the potentiometer nuts:
IMG_0906.jpg

Loosen the pot nuts and take the PCB out (only, because it's an ebay puchase):
IMG_0912.jpg IMG_0911.jpg

Last edited:

Fire Burst

Desolder the blue capacitors:
IMG_0915.jpg

The caps are out:
IMG_0917.jpg

The tone pots are desoldered as well to to disconnect the lower outer lugs ofthe pots from the PCB and bent them into the horizontal. Then the remaining two lugs of each tone pot and the casing can be soldered to the PCB again:
IMG_0919.jpg

Two little bridges are made from wire. They replace the two old, blue caps:
IMG_0924.jpg

Two russian PIO caps (I tried 0.015/0.033 uF) are soldered to the lower outer, now horizontal lugs of the tone pots and the inner lugs of the volume pots:
IMG_0926.jpg

Last edited:

Fire Burst

The modded board is set into the cavity and connected:
IMG_0929.jpg

Finished and ready to rock with 50's wiring:
IMG_0930.jpg