• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help ID'ing this early 80s possible reissue?

mjinli

https://imgur.com/a/aJB6xYl#hoSP1Zq

I thought it was a Heritage 80 series with swapped tuners and pickups but the Gibson logo placement and serial number placement don't look right. It also doesn't have that weird sharp horn that the Heritage 80 series does. Doesn't have a special run serial number like any of the other early '80s '59 reissues.

Big Al

Can't see the pic. Last Kalamazoo Les Pauls had correct body and are beautiful. The short squat early 80's body was short lived. I saw lots of flame top Standards as well as Customs randomly occur and 59 RI Les Pauls with regular body throughout the last half of the 80's. Strange time with lots of oddballs.

You should check Mike Slubowski's excellent articals on the homesite

mjinli

I did read it, learned a lot about the specific dealer runs but there wasn't too much about this.

Maybe attaching will work better -

0.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg1.jpg

Big Al

Please show cavity and board inlays in close up. There is something odd about that and it just looks off for a 81 Standard.

mjinli

Yeah, I thought so too but I don't know what exactly is going on. I'll go check it out in person later this week probably and see if he'll let me pull the pickups and check out the routes and control cavity. Here's a pic of the inlays.

Screenshot_20191103_215050.jpg

Big Al

Those do not appear to be correct 80's celluloid inlays. WTF! can't this guy take clear straight on photo's?