• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A rare "Gem" or Emerald in the rough

Azmedian

1st off I know it is not an actual Gem series, however I have recently been been told that this guitar is "Rare & Highly Sought After". I purchased this guitar of a great fellow named Phil back in Nov. 2017. My son was looking to learn guitar & I wanted to get him a quality guitar. Of course I chose to buy a Gibson Les Paul. When a Gibson collector asked about a post on one of my old forum blogs (not this forum). He told me it was one of the rarer studios. All I know is it is a '98 Studio Emerald Green, using leftover Paint from the "Gem" Series and allegedly only a very few were produced. My curiosity peaked, so I am seeking any information I can get so why not check here on the Les Paul forum as I will probably get the most accurate authentic information. Thank you in advance for any help in this matter. �� See below P.S. I also posted this exact question on the Gibson Forum but the more chances at getting information the better.
Any insight is appreciated.

IMG_1341.thumb.jpg.7ad682c087aa6a75aca33ba2774bb9c4.jpg

IMG_1342.thumb.jpg.575fbf25eccfb383b0a4e08e1256f7f3.jpg

IMG_1352.thumb.jpg.a48a00ae47b0d36434c021a893c43ac8.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

It may be rare/uncommon but I'd not say "Highly sought after". I hope Phil was great enough to sell it to you at a fair price. These are nice playing, good sounding, entry level Les Pauls that give some of that Gibson Les Paul magic and charm at budget price. They were offered in all kinds of variations and made in the thousands. This one is a Deja Vu one as I seem to remember a thread about a guitar just like this with the same story, [ maybe Phil?], back awhile.

Gibson should be able to supply info and someone here may know more, [Strings Jr?], or own one similar.

El Gringo

Cool Color . I wouldn't mind adding to the heard with blinged out crazy tops from Gibson Custom in Emerald and Some kind of Blue

Azmedian

It may be rare/uncommon but I'd not say "Highly sought after". I hope Phil was great enough to sell it to you at a fair price. These are nice playing, good sounding, entry level Les Pauls that give some of that Gibson Les Paul magic and charm at budget price. They were offered in all kinds of variations and made in the thousands. This one is a Deja Vu one as I seem to remember a thread about a guitar just like this with the same story, [ maybe Phil?], back awhile.

Gibson should be able to supply info and someone here may know more, [Strings Jr?], or own one similar.

Thanks, for the reply looking forward to what ever information I can get. And Phil was a sweetheart of a guy I bought this & another 1990 Ebony for an unbelievably great price, If I told you you would say GTFOH

Big Al

Thanks, for the reply looking forward to what ever information I can get. And Phil was a sweetheart of a guy I bought this & another 1990 Ebony for an unbelievably great price, If I told you you would say GTFOH

That is the greatest aspect of the Studio line, especially 90's-00's. Really cool guitars that stand on their own as fine, quality electrics. I have 2 I used a lot alongside my vintage, Custom Shop and USA models. One, a very toneful all mahogany entry level model has become a personal favorite.

So many cool variants and editions to choose from. Great modding platforms, though I'd leave a clean, rarer model alone, so many out there.

Madhermit

I had a gem back in the day. Topaz/sunburst. I had the Canadian warranty repair guy swap out all the cream plastics with black. Looked killer. I just couldn’t deal with the P90 hum back then.
I was under the impression that the Gem series has P90 pickups and block inlays. They also had a gem logo on the back of the headstock.

Big Al

I had a gem back in the day. Topaz/sunburst. I had the Canadian warranty repair guy swap out all the cream plastics with black. Looked killer. I just couldn’t deal with the P90 hum back then.
I was under the impression that the Gem series has P90 pickups and block inlays. They also had a gem logo on the back of the headstock.

This isn't a gem.

G.Ham

These were dealer exclusive for Mars Music. I owned one a few years back. Essentially a standard Studio with the Gem Series finish.

GuitarWheels

LPS 1.png
LPS 2.pngLPS 1.pngLPS 2.pngLPS 1.pngLPS 2.png
1st Post here, great forum.
I' have a 96 LP Studio Gem Series Emerald. It is a Hurricane Katrina survivor and shows the scars from the floodwaters. The electrical components have been replaced (kept the originals).
Plays great now. I'm wondering if refinishing would cause it to lose value. I don't know the current value of it .If anyone has suggestions for preserving it i would appreciate any comments.
I am the original owner and have the sales receipt and store merchandise tag.
I'd be happy to answer questions about features of this guitar if that helps anyone else.

Can someone walk me thru the photo size and file types that work for this site? These are screenshots. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• LPS 1.png
    LPS 1.png
    934.1 KB · Views: 2

jrgtr42

1st Post here, great forum.
I' have a 96 LP Studio Gem Series Emerald. It is a Hurricane Katrina survivor and shows the scars from the floodwaters. The electrical components have been replaced (kept the originals).
Plays great now. I'm wondering if refinishing would cause it to lose value. I don't know the current value of it .If anyone has suggestions for preserving it i would appreciate any comments.
I am the original owner and have the sales receipt and store merchandise tag.
I'd be happy to answer questions about features of this guitar if that helps anyone else.

Can someone walk me thru the photo size and file types that work for this site? These are screenshots. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
TBH I don't know that this guitar has a ton of value to lose, other than the story of being a Katrina survivor.
Honestly not sure what that does to the value to bgin with - I know a lot of people wouldn;t want to mess with a guitar with water damage.
Do you have any photos of the body? And what exactly are you looking to preserve about it?
Possibly a few coats of nitro will cover up and seal any cracks, while still allowing that patina ('mojo', if you will) to show through.

GuitarWheels

Seeing the trend for "Relic"guitars prompted my question.There is an area by the jack where the top started to separate. It has been stable for 15+ years. Living on the Gulf Coast with extreme humidity is the concern if I was to take the guitar out of controlled climate for any extended period. I'd like to take it with me on trips in my motor home. So looking to preserve going forward and not kill any inherent value I ask, What would be the best way to go, Relic or restore? A few years ago I saw an identical piece {in good condition} going for $2,300 online FWIW.

Thanks for your intrest

LPS 3.pngEDFF4D64-D5D7-4AC3-9D74-B75F73CF73F1_1_105_c.jpeg

Azmedian

Seeing the trend for "Relic"guitars prompted my question.There is an area by the jack where the top started to separate. It has been stable for 15+ years. Living on the Gulf Coast with extreme humidity is the concern if I was to take the guitar out of controlled climate for any extended period. I'd like to take it with me on trips in my motor home. So looking to preserve going forward and not kill any inherent value I ask, What would be the best way to go, Relic or restore? A few years ago I saw an identical piece {in good condition} going for $2,300 online FWIW.

Thanks for your intrest

View attachment 14131View attachment 14132
Any Update what did you end up doing
My Vote strip it down to natural wood & clear coat it