• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s vs Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016

beej1989

If you had to pick one for classic rock tone (Page, Clapton, Peter Green etc) and overall versatility which one would you choose? Things I like better about the 2016 are the push pull for coil splitting, locking tuners and the AAA top but I prefer the non weight relief of the '60s. The 2016 has the Burstbucker Pros and the 60s has the 61 pickups.

pqs

2016 and 2017 were great years. I think Gibson USA have a few pickups that I much prefer to the BB pros, but that’s an easy fix. One thing you forgot to mention is that the 2016 had compound radius and an asymmetrical slim tapered neck profile. One thing I like better about the Standard 60s is the thinner neck binding, which gives it a more precise/refined feeling to the guitar. Honestly, you can’t go wrong either way.

Big Al

I played in Top 40 Cover Bands in the 70's & 80's. Versatility became important and I became a dedicated knob twister/switch flicker. I'd go for that.

CatManDoo88

If you had to pick one for classic rock tone (Page, Clapton, Peter Green etc) and overall versatility which one would you choose? Things I like better about the 2016 are the push pull for coil splitting, locking tuners and the AAA top but I prefer the non weight relief of the '60s. The 2016 has the Burstbucker Pros and the 60s has the 61 pickups.

If you want the classic rock tone, I would go for the new 60s Standard. I have non-locking Grovers on my CS9 and I've never had tuning issues with it. 61 BurstBuckers are also much better pickups than the Pros, especially for the vintage tones you are looking for. I had a Gibson with coil splitting and it never added much for me. It seemed to trade one really good tone for two crappy ones, but some others may feel differently.

Madhermit

I recently got a new 60s Standard. It sounds epic. Huge tone. I wasn’t sure it would be different enough from my PRS 594 Singlecut, but it is very different. Super happy I got it. I love the pickups. They are mismatched coils that give good clean tones. I think they officially call them “61T/R Burstbuckers” now. I played three, and this one sounded by far the best to me and a few other guys. Top wasn’t as nice as the other two, but it sounded better, so I bought it. It was tough as one of the tops was awesome. But it is about sound, not looks. After a setup, it plays great and stays in tune no problem. I like that it forces me to dial in the neck humbucker. I have other guitars for the neck single coil thing.

F8E43BEE-942B-4BA4-97F8-EE28FA66748A.jpg

Attachments

• EE817098-B146-4626-BB1C-FA43AA5AA6EF.jpg
    EE817098-B146-4626-BB1C-FA43AA5AA6EF.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8

Big Al

What should be important is the guitar. I read so many posts about weight relief and this unfouned aversion to it founded upon nothing more than intrnet inuendo and groundless assumptions. I've compared so many Les Pauls with weight relief, (not CHAMBERING, that is different), to similar models non weight relieved that it became obvious that there is no sonic or tonal effect.

The swiss cheese relief started a long time ago, 80's I think, and no one ever heard a change in tone. It wasn't until someone posted xray pics that it became a thing. All the various weight relief schemes are tonaly neutral and allow Gibson to use high quality dense mahogany that would otherwise prove too heavy for a comfortable Les Paul, comfortable not featherweight.

IMO, heavy dense mahogany makes a loud, full fidelity, long sustaining complex tone. I have a couple all mahogany guitars like this I use to demonstrate this effect, that I made, as well as 50's and early Jrs and Melody Makers, light and heavy. The difference is not subtle.

Now my only point here isn't to debate the merits of dense or punky wood but rather that weight relief has no noticable tonal effect. Unless you know it's there, you cannot tell.

So why would you reject or refuse a guitar that plays and sounds great to you, if you learn it has 'weight relief'? Why consider a guitar you may not like as much only because it hasn't any relief?

Shouldn't the object be to find a Les Paul that you like best, regardless?? I just don't get it.

Madhermit

Mine weighs 9.8 lbs. Apparently, according to the internet gurus, it must suck. It’s heavy, but I think it sounds awesome. It has an authority none of my other guitars have. I worked in a very busy recording studio for over a decade. I think I have a decent ear for tone. I’m happy with it!

I thought Les Pauls were ‘supposed’ to be heavy! :yah

Big Al

Mine weighs 9.8 lbs. Apparently, according to the internet gurus, it must suck. It’s heavy, but I think it sounds awesome. It has an authority none of my other guitars have. I worked in a very busy recording studio for over a decade. I think I have a decent ear for tone. I’m happy with it!

I thought Les Pauls were ‘supposed’ to be heavy! :yah

They are Les Pauls. Variations on a theme right? I've always picked from what was available to me and there was always one that spoke to me loudest. The one among the bunch I liked best. That's it. Never felt the need for internet validation.

Musicman

I recently got a new 60s Standard. It sounds epic. Huge tone. I wasn’t sure it would be different enough from my PRS 594 Singlecut, but it is very different. Super happy I got it. I love the pickups. They are mismatched coils that give good clean tones. I think they officially call them “61T/R Burstbuckers” now. I played three, and this one sounded by far the best to me and a few other guys. Top wasn’t as nice as the other two, but it sounded better, so I bought it. It was tough as one of the tops was awesome. But it is about sound, not looks. After a setup, it plays great and stays in tune no problem. I like that it forces me to dial in the neck humbucker. I have other guitars for the neck single coil thing.

View attachment 10562

Sounds like you got a winner and made the right choice. Congrats! :dude:

tjdjr1

I just added a 2019 Honeyburst Classic to the herd and I really like the 61 humbuckers. My other LP's are a 2016 Traditional, 78 deluxe (routed) and 80 standard.