• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Firebird 1

Del

I have a non reverse firebird 1 which has 2 p90 pickups and a slide pickup switch.
I remember seeing this guitar which had a sunburst finish it had suffered a headstock break which was repaired but the he also had it finished it in red.
looking at the pot codes it dates from 64.There is barely visible a serial number on the back of the headstock, would have it had a etched number or an inked number.
i intend to have it refinished back to tobacco sunburst.

TM1

It would have a Stamped serial number on the back of the headstock. Inked on numbers ended around 1961. Yours sounds like a transition era model. When the Firebird I's went to the next generation, they went to 2 P-90's. Too bad as I love the single mini-hum with one Volume and one Tone. Is your's an 11-ply body/neck or a two piece?

Overdriven66

It would have a Stamped serial number on the back of the headstock. Inked on numbers ended around 1961. Yours sounds like a transition era model. When the Firebird I's went to the next generation, they went to 2 P-90's. Too bad as I love the single mini-hum with one Volume and one Tone. Is your's an 11-ply body/neck or a two piece?

If it is a non-reverse, it would be a set neck with a stamped serial number. The only way you could get a mini-hum on a NR 'Bird is with a V or a VII. The reverse Firebird I's have a certain mistique with the single mini hum. Clapton approved! The NR 'Birds with the P-90's sound killer, but the reverses were rarely made with the P-90's. They do exist, but are really,really, rare. ANY 60's Firebird in whatever pickup configuration is sure to be a great guitar!! IMO, I liked Claptons sound a lot more with ' the Fool ' SG. Two 60's Marshall stacks and a Gibson with big 'Buckers....... be it a ' Burst or an SG...... freekin' CLASSIC tone!!!

Overdriven66

If it is a non-reverse, it would be a set neck with a stamped serial number. The only way you could get a mini-hum on a NR 'Bird is with a V or a VII. The reverse Firebird I's have a certain mistique with the single mini hum. Clapton approved! The NR 'Birds with the P-90's sound killer, but the reverses were rarely made with the P-90's. They do exist, but are really,really, rare. ANY 60's Firebird in whatever pickup configuration is sure to be a great guitar!! IMO, I liked Claptons sound a lot more with ' the Fool ' SG. Two 60's Marshall stacks and a Gibson with big 'Buckers....... be it a ' Burst or an SG...... freekin' CLASSIC tone!!!

Your NR must be an early '65 with the '64 pot codes. Gibson bought pots in big quantities and often a pot code from a previous year was used on the next model year until that supply was used up.

Del

It Is a 2 piece body with 2 p90 pickups.i am sure that the machine heads have also been replaced with 6 in line as on a strat what would be the correct type

El Gringo

Why did Gibson stop using the Banjo Tuners on the Firebird USA models and I am not sure if Gibson Custom is no longer using them as well ? I think they were made by Steinberger ?

TM1

I’m sure the Banjo tuners were 3-4 times the cost of six on a strip tuners. It all comes down to cost. Are you talking about vintage type Firebird’s or new ones?
Gibson at one time owned Steinberger. Not sure if they still do. But I’m sure it comes down to cost, especially if it’s the USA models.

El Gringo

I’m sure the Banjo tuners were 3-4 times the cost of six on a strip tuners. It all comes down to cost. Are you talking about vintage type Firebird’s or new ones?
Gibson at one time owned Steinberger. Not sure if they still do. But I’m sure it comes down to cost, especially if it’s the USA models.
Vintage Firebird's