• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

12" Rola alnico speakers..?

zoork_1

I'm looking at a pair of early 60s 12" Rola alnico speakers. Anyone tried these, what should I expect soundwise?
Your input is most welcome.

TM1

I have an old Rola B024 alnico. Was told by Celestion it was probably late 40's or early `50's. Looks very much like an alnico Celestion but with a Rola label on the magnet. sounds great in my 1974x!

goldtop0

I'm looking at a pair of early 60s 12" Rola alnico speakers. Anyone tried these, what should I expect soundwise?
Your input is most welcome.

Can you post a pic of these?
Are you aware of the Bygone Tones site, have a look there.

I've seen the odd British made Rola for sale over the years(which is apparently a much better speaker than the USA made ones which were used in Hammond Organs).

Last edited:

F-Hole

B024 and B025, 8 and 15 ohms, rated for 12w I believe.

Brian will know more, but be wary of overloading.

zoork_1

Can you post a pic of these?
Are you aware of the Bygone Tones site, have a look there.

I've seen the odd British made Rola for sale over the years(which is apparently a much better speaker than the USA made ones which were used in Hammond Organs).
Thanks for pointing out Bygone Tones, I think "my" Rolas are made in the US... :hmm

goldtop0

Thanks for pointing out Bygone Tones, I think "my" Rolas are made in the US... :hmm

Yes you're right about that.
The Brit ones(that you've most probably seen on the Bygone site) are like the Celestion labelled alnicos from that 50s/60s era.

zoork_1

I'll report back when I got these babe's going in a proper cab.
Hopefully they're not to bad...

goldtop0

I'll report back when I got these babe's going in a proper cab.
Hopefully they're not to bad...

That's right, you've got to give them a good workout.
I've never had any of the USA Rolas.