• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thoughts on this 1971 Gold Top- help?

Bluebird89

Hi.

We purchased this gold top online as a gift. 1971. It was just under $3500 and arrives next week. Found out after purchase it was "rebuilt" in 1979....new frets, pick ups (though they are same era as originals), tuners, and wiring. The knobs and case are original, and the neck is straight. Body is free of major scratches or dents.

The serial number seems to check out. I can't tell if it's a reissue of '54 or another '50's year...

After looking at it again, I can't tell if the bridge is original. But I am just basing this on other pictures of gold tops of this era...

Any thoughts just by glancing at the images? I am able to return it so that option is open still at least.

I posted this elsewhere but was told I'd get better replies in this pub for this era.

Screenshot_20191029-153840_Chrome.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgScreenshot_20191028-071936_Chrome.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This is not a "54 reissue", Pancake body wasn't used for those.
And the bridge is not original. It has been modified with one that required drilling larger holes for the posts.
Pickups likely required routing if it's a 1971.
And the keys are now Grovers.

marshall1987

The serial number appears to be 957796. The guitar is within the range of a 1970 Deluxe. However, the serial number appears somewhat unusual; ie., the digits vary in size and alignment, and the color is wrong.

The first photo below is the headstock of a 1970 Deluxe I owned a couple of years ago. The second photo is the OP's Deluxe. Note the difference between the two serial numbers?

One final observation is the small volute seen with early 1970 Deluxe models. A 1971 Deluxe would have a volute somewhat larger.

Bluebird89

The serial number appears to be 957796. The guitar is within the range of a 1970 Deluxe. However, the serial number appears somewhat unusual; ie., the digits vary in size and alignment, and the color is wrong.

The first photo below is the headstock of a 1970 Deluxe I owned a couple of years ago. The second photo is the OP's Deluxe. Note the difference between the two serial numbers?

One final observation is the small volute seen with early 1970 Deluxe models. A 1971 Deluxe would have a volute somewhat larger.

So I'm guessing you mean that this may be a fake? Due to the serial number variation and volute difference?

Starting to wonder if this is even worth taking to our local vintage shop for a look or if I should just send back and start the hunt for a more authentic...

guitplayer

it looks refinished. Serial # definitly not right. May have had a volute break at some point.
Possible the serial # was removed and re stamped. The color inside the stamp of "Made in USA"
looks correct but the serial # looks darker and wrong font

toxpert

The pics below are from the Gibson web site and intended as a pictorial reference for what typical Goldtop Les Paul’s look like:

71FCFB41-50A3-4558-808C-92FA3B6429FD.jpg

F7F635C8-F76F-4F27-AC23-4B405BB2B66B.jpg

2C89E67A-3B76-459C-AA99-596E78E2D43F.jpg

The OP can compare what he/she has bought to these pics...and see what he/she wants to see.

Respectfully,
Mac

Bluebird89

The pics below are from the Gibson web site and intended as a pictorial reference for what typical Goldtop Les Paul’s look like:

View attachment 10453

View attachment 10451

View attachment 10452

The OP can compare what he/she has bought to these pics...and see what he/she wants to see.

Respectfully,
Mac

Thanks!

I really appreciate all the info I got on here. I'm very skeptical now and likely will end up returning.

It now arrives tomorrow so I'm taking it to the vintage guitar shop to have it fully looked over. All of the concerns raised on here I will bring up and hopefully between these concerns and questions plus the expert looking it over I'll have a clear answer as to it's worth and so on. :)

marshall1987

For what it's worth, I would estimate the value of that guitar in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 tops. If there is any further undisclosed damage, repairs, modifications, poor frets, refinish, the value would be even less.

It goes without saying the addition of an undesirable Bigsby, the non-factory pickup routing, the quirky serial number, and the changed bridge, cause the value to tank. :dang

If you can't buy it for $2,000 or less, strongly suggest you reject it. You would never get your money back if you tried to sell it later on for $3,500.00.

Big Al

View attachment 10453

View attachment 10451

View attachment 10452

Respectfully,
Mac

None of them are of a 1971-75 Deluxe and are meaningless and of no help.
The guitar is altered and routed. It is overpriced and not a correct stock early 70's Deluxe.