• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My journey with Jaeger Guitars Bavarian Makeover ...

zakk5

Dear Les Paul Forum Members,

after years of considering i have decided to give my beloved R0 in the magic hands of a well known luthier, Mr. Florian Jaeger of Jaeger Guitars.
i would like to share with you my journey from a pretty much standard 2003 R0 plaintop, in so called Tak Burst, towards a beautifully light aged early 1960 faded teaburst.

Hope you do enjoy it as much as i do.

I have had a very warm welcome at Florian in his workshop a few weeks ago. He is such a nice guy with an unbelievable deep knowledge of guitars especially original Bursts.

We discussed the makeover and he will send pictures and emails while working on my guitar to discuss the next step in detail.
With my following Posts i would like to keep you updated of my journey to make my dream come true.

1. Lets get started! Hardware removed

IMG_8170.JPG

2. new inlays ; vintage correct authentic Cellulose Nitrat inlys in correct Color and pattern. Florian says they come form the original italian company that produced the inlays in the 50th.

IMG_8232.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

to be continued ….

Last edited:

zakk5

some updates:

fret dressing, trimmed and polished

IMG_8250.JPG

IMG_8252.JPG

sticky Gibson lacquer stripped off!

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8273.JPG

The maple top of the Tak Burst Les Paul coated is pickled (dont know if this is the correct translation for "gebeizt") in yellow. Florian is using pigment to replicate the original 50th paint.

Handcarving the top
"... with drawing blade I start working on the vault. This is a very elaborate, artistic handicraft that will take many days. Bleeding fingers!!! "

IMG_8282.JPG

… to be continued

Last edited:

zakk5

...and after days of handwork and with bleeding fingers: authentic vintage topcarve contours with a beautiful recurve and a deep dish..!"

IMG_8381.jpg

IMG_8386.jpg

... with a bronze sledschiel I take the unpleasant shoulders from the neck...!

IMG_8420.JPG

… with rasp and sanding paper. Shaping the neck.

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

...short TP bushings removed..

IMG_8535.JPG

Last edited:

zakk5

... the plug for the discant side. A sandwich made of hard rockmaple and Honduras mahogany…

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8577.JPG

… new hole for studs on the discant side (slanted)

IMG_8593.JPG

...don't forget a new tiny hole and the groundwire...
IMG_8594.JPG

And now: the slanted tailpiece, almost parallel with the Bridge
IMG_8595.JPG

btw i forgot to mention that i have decided to do the "small" makeover (Bavarian makeover I )
Florian offers Bavarian Makeover II which contains : neck reset, hide glue, remove the Thrussrod condom and apply a brazillian rosewood fretboard , binding in original material … … …
i like the board on my Les Paul and i am happy with it.

Last edited:

fakejake

Super cool, it really was about time for another makeover thread :dude:
Will you keep the rest of the hardware and electronics stock?

El Gringo

Awesome and very exciting to follow the progress of the Master Craftsman plying his trade ! Love the photos of the work in progress !

zakk5

Super cool, it really was about time for another makeover thread :dude:
Will you keep the rest of the hardware and electronics stock?

The capacitors have been updated to old 60s black beauties already.
Pots come from "Vintage inspired Pickups" and 50s wiring of course.
I might want a different Bridge ...
As Pickups i have a Set of aged double whites OX4

The rest will be aged slightly but remain stock 2003

Last edited:

Pekri 59

Absolutley famous work from Florian. He is a one of the best Guitarbuilder in Europe.:)

zakk5

...neck-headstock-transition rounded and sanded .... for that smooth Feeling:

before:
IMG_8718.JPG

after:
IMG_8720.JPG

IMG_8722.JPG

… to be continued

mdubya

I am not seeing any photos at all.

Is it just me? :hmm

El Gringo

I can't see the photos also , the first several posts I was able to see them , not now (bummer )

mdubya

I can see them in Google Chrome.

Great thread.

I am using Chrome, but I have a lot of protection, too.

I will make some adjustments for LPF so, hopefully, I can see the photos! :peace2

zakk5

Dear Forum,

after a few days of not updating this thread i would like to continue to tell our story.
Florian kept working continuosly on my guitar but unfortunately i could not find the time to share the latest pix.

Here we go:

...entire back fine sanded...

IMG_8723.JPG

… Red Aniline Oilbased Filler …

image0.jpeg

Florian send me a very interesting voice message about any detail, manufacturing process and so on of what Gibson used to do in the 50s and what they do nowadays.
This deep knowledge is so much more than i coulde share here and i could not even explain it as he can at all. He is the luthier, not me. So if you want to know more about all of this maybe you can get in touch with him via his website or even better … start your own makover with him :)

... the highly pigmented filler looks almost black in the pore. Here without first Clearcoat!

IMG_8741.JPG

to be continued

Last edited:

zakk5

a few new updates:

Headstock sprayed and logo cleaned
...and a Gibbie again…

IMG_8773.JPG

...1st clearcoat on red filler on Body.

IMG_8783.JPG

the next step will be super exciting! THE BURST COLOR!

to be continued ...

thin sissy

I love these threads, thank you!

I have to comment on another thing though. Always glad to see a Daniel Johns reference. I still listen to Diorama regularly, it's a masterpiece! :salude