• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help with 1971 gold top

AA00475Bassman

You should send the guitar back buy a Historic 57 if your friend want double coils , this guitar is very fiddled with IMO I would pass !

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Please note that the OP has started another thread in the Sunburst Pub.
That's the best place to continue this discussion. :)

Bluebird89

Please note that the OP has started another thread in the Sunburst Pub.
That's the best place to continue this discussion. :)

Paul, do you mind if I send you an email with a few questions/pictures of a gold top I found that I think may be a good find? I don't mean to bother you, but you were very helpful in this issue and I'd really appreciate just a quick glance. We are returning the one in this forum due to so many modifications and I think the one I found is a much better quality but not knowing much about guitars I'd appreciate an opinion before purchasing this time. :)

Thank you!

Big Al

Just saw the update post with pics. Neck pickup position is too close to fretboard.
Headstock is the large version with pantograph ‘Gibson’ inlay. 3-piece neck with volute. Body is short-lived pancake construction with maple layer in the middle.

While these features are all period correct...they represent a time when Gibson moved far away from the class Les Paul build specifications.

It does look like a buggered 1971 ‘54 Reissue. With the image of ‘Les Paul Guitar’ in my dreams....this is not the guitar I would buy.

The prototypical Les Paul has 1-piece neck, small headstock with script logo, no volute, no Bigsby. Pickups for this model would be P-90 and bridge would be wrap tail. Body would be solid ...not multi-layered pancake.

Why are you going on and on about a flippin' 71 Reissue, something you know nothing about? If you don't have a clue, don't make mutiple posts as if you do and confuse someone seeking guidance!! Your idea of what constitutes YOUR Dream Goldtop has nothing to do with the op and only applies to you. WTF dude enough, you ain't helping.

The op wishes to gift a "Goldtop" for a freind. The op needs to find out if the freind has a specific type "Goldtop" in mind or just any genaric Goldtop. Either way, this guitar is overpriced and misrepresented. That is all that matters.

toxpert

Why are you going on and on about a flippin' 71 Reissue, something you know nothing about? If you don't have a clue, don't make mutiple posts as if you do and confuse someone seeking guidance!! Your idea of what constitutes YOUR Dream Goldtop has nothing to do with the op and only applies to you. WTF dude enough, you ain't helping.

The op wishes to gift a "Goldtop" for a freind. The op needs to find out if the freind has a specific type "Goldtop" in mind or just any genaric Goldtop. Either way, this guitar is overpriced and misrepresented. That is all that matters.

I am not going on about a '71 Reissue. That post was 4 days ago...and on the OP's original thread. I missed that the '71 did not have a pancake body. Tom pointed that out and I responded with thank you for the correction.

I am out of discussion here and can only hope that the individual receives a gift that he appreciates.

Big Al

I am not going on about a '71 Reissue. That post was 4 days ago...and on the OP's original thread. I missed that the '71 did not have a pancake body. Tom pointed that out and I responded with thank you for the correction.

I am out of discussion here and can only hope that the individual receives a gift that he appreciates.

Your first three posts claim it is. So you missed the pancake body, every picture proves it isn't a reissue. No one would ever think so as it is so plainly obviously not and I just wonder why you feel the need to post so much about something you know so little about? Same for declarations of what makes a proper goldtop.:hmm