• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Correct vintage frets

rufes

Formerly dmartinez
I had two great guitars that changed completely the way they played and sounded after re-fretting them. To the point that I eded up selling them. A '54 Strat and a '55 Les Paul. That's when I realized that small vintage frets Is what I like.

The best necks I ever tried are a '57 and a '58 ES175 that I still own and love and both have the exact same frets.

I think Gibson changed the fret a little bit in 1959. What are the measures of the frets I like?

deytookerjaabs

Well, before someone(s) chimes in to tell you what your opinion should be regarding tone/frets/feel I recommend getting a cheap set of digital calipers on Amazon.

IIRC, when I measured the frets on the '58 ES-125 I used to have they were pretty thin, like .072 wide or so but I could be wrong. It seems modern "vintage" wire all starts around .080. Point being, measure them then research the various wire making outlets to see what is the closest.

rufes

Formerly dmartinez
Thanks guys

I bought a digital caliper and gave me 0.084

Now I realized I need a Feeler Gauge too....

EXPLRGAB

Just purchased an R8....it has the smaller frets...it has a sweet attack...it's fast......vibrato works well...but maybe not as effortless with the jumbos....