• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No-cutaway Les Pauls? How would it affect tone?

Standard Magic

I'm trying to find out what affect does a no-cutaway guitar have compared to a single cut. I don't know what types of no-cutaway guitars are out there, seems like there are some custom Les Pauls out there like that, but it seems to be rare. Would be good to hear a comparison.

I've been researching the difference between single cut and double cut LPs and it seems that having that extra piece of wood to anchor the neck affects the tone, most say that you get more pronounced lows but to me it just sounds better all round.

All of which leads me to this; why not have no cutaways at all! Suppose you had a single cut and a non cut Les Paul, both solid body with no chambering, everything else equal. What would the difference be?

Big Al

No. They don't exist, you haven't seen some. Info on neck joint and tonal impressions are plentiful and there isn't any controversy. Come on, now.

Tenon and neck stiffness as well as length beyond heel all have greater effect than number of cutaways. Case in point being 61/62 Melody Maker. They are identical, except the 62 is a singlecutaway body with a second cutaway added to make a double cutaway model. Otherwise identical.

They sound the same.

Big Al

?? Who said anything about controversy?

Ok, then just goofy speculation. But hey go get yerself a noncutaway Les Paul if you think your onto sumptin'. What research have you done? It needs to be done on models that are identical, in every way except cutaway.

AA00475Bassman

In my 40 + years of being a bedroom hack I yet to see a non cut Les Paul , so maybe Gibson made one not seeing one does not make it so .
If such a thing was made i'm sure everyone on this board would love to see it . Some will beat their hairy chest and yell but not seeing one , well I never saw a hairless dog till I went to Mexico . Good luck on your hunt !

Big Al

If you think about it, it isn't cutaways, either 1 or 2 or none. A Flying V has no cut aways. SGs or double cut Jrs could have their cutaways chopped off and be no cutaway guitars.

Cutaways function as to allow better string axcess or to balance the body on a strap. The way and manner the neck is attached is the critical factor. There have been some double cut 50's style Les Pauls made with a second cutaway in the upper bout. The neck joint/tenon remained the same, as did tone.

A 50s style Standard with no cutaway would gain what? Crappy high register axcess for sure. A guitar with the shortest neck free of the heel now with no cutaway? Yep, great idea.

Mainly though, I want to goad a low post newbee op with a thread that appears so much like the rash of such threads lately, to see if he/she replies, [ they did], and if a link would suddenly become embeded.

Either way this is a fantasy thread. I don't believe the op has done any research as he claims or wants such a guitar. But hey, it ain't life and death and we are chewing the fat and I'm just calling it out, as I would if we were sittin' down drinkin' beers. I'm happy to refute/bolster/pishaw and discuss relevant points. Y'all can do the same.

OP, if you're legit, WELCOME!! Stick around and if you can explain your research, please do. Have you seen a non cutaway LP, or know of any or are you just assuming they exist?

ultra

407522499.jpg

El Gringo

For me it's a non starter and I would not be interested . I like having the single cut away Les Paul to gain access to the upper register of notes on the fretboard . Not to be sarcastic , but what are we trying to reinvent the wheel ? The Les Paul is perfect for me and delivers the tone and sound !

Arch D. Bunker

They DO exist, and were discussed here before. Not sure about the LPC above, but this is not a shopped pic:

R7No-Cut.jpg

Plus Pat Smear had one made, there are vids of him playing it onstage.

Standard Magic

If you think about it, it isn't cutaways, either 1 or 2 or none. A Flying V has no cut aways. SGs or double cut Jrs could have their cutaways chopped off and be no cutaway guitars.

Cutaways function as to allow better string axcess or to balance the body on a strap. The way and manner the neck is attached is the critical factor. There have been some double cut 50's style Les Pauls made with a second cutaway in the upper bout. The neck joint/tenon remained the same, as did tone.

A 50s style Standard with no cutaway would gain what? Crappy high register axcess for sure. A guitar with the shortest neck free of the heel now with no cutaway? Yep, great idea.

Mainly though, I want to goad a low post newbee op with a thread that appears so much like the rash of such threads lately, to see if he/she replies, [ they did], and if a link would suddenly become embeded.

Either way this is a fantasy thread. I don't believe the op has done any research as he claims or wants such a guitar. But hey, it ain't life and death and we are chewing the fat and I'm just calling it out, as I would if we were sittin' down drinkin' beers. I'm happy to refute/bolster/pishaw and discuss relevant points. Y'all can do the same.

OP, if you're legit, WELCOME!! Stick around and if you can explain your research, please do. Have you seen a non cutaway LP, or know of any or are you just assuming they exist?

Wow , what a guitar snob and a high grade wanker. Though shalt not go against the grain eh? Sorry for asking a question that's not like 99% of the other wankfest questions that you get. I'm sure you feel good about being a high post count forum contributor, though shall not be a low count contributor because surely then you don't know much about guitar??

sonar

Wow , what a guitar snob and a high grade wanker. Though shalt not go against the grain eh? Sorry for asking a question that's not like 99% of the other wankfest questions that you get. I'm sure you feel good about being a high post count forum contributor, though shall not be a low count contributor because surely then you don't know much about guitar??

The LPF has been getting a bunch of potential hacks from low post count users. Apologies if you were unfairly lumped into that mess.

Closest to give you an idea maybe the B&G little sister non- cutaway guitar.
A demo of the cutaway and non- cutaway on the bottom of this page:

https://bngguitars.com/electric/little-sister-crossroads

If you get the chance check out the B&G's. I haven't been as impressed with a new(ish) guitar company in a long time. I'm not going to compare it to a good LP, but the B&G's play and sound great!

AA00475Bassman

We do welcome you to this Forum , although you will learn in do time who will go Bakersfield Chimp !! Welcome to the Forum & feel free to ask away !!!

Big Al

And you resort to personal attacks and show your true colors. I called out your suppositions and poor intellect.

You claimed you did research, I asked for details and you respond with attacks, but no fact, no clarification.

I gave factual evidence and an explaination of the role of neck joint and cutaway to answer your question about tone, you respond with personal attacks.

I explained the problem of low post threads we have had, and welcomed you. I asked if a non cutaway Les Paul was what you wanted, and why. You never answer if you have a compelling reason to want one. Who is clamoring for this guitar?

You didn't answer any and instead name called and misrepresented my post. Another internet coward who can't argue like a man but responds like a child.

Last edited: