• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No-cutaway Les Pauls? How would it affect tone?

brandtkronholm

R7No-Cut.jpg
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

This guitar makes me want to shout "Baby Ruth" at the top of my lungs!

Attachments

• intro-1529941807.jpg
    intro-1529941807.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4

deytookerjaabs

Although, again, not exact in spec by any means allow me to give an honorable mention to The Luddite which Ian (Specimen, used to apprentice there) has been making since at least the 90's:

MG_0745-LB.jpg

Very quirky idea indeed.

Texas Blues

They DO exist, and were discussed here before. Not sure about the LPC above, but this is not a shopped pic:

R7No-Cut.jpg

Plus Pat Smear had one made, there are vids of him playing it onstage.

I rarely go above the 12th fret anyhow.

I would rock the hell out of that guitar.

Give it to me!

El Gringo

Although, again, not exact in spec by any means allow me to give an honorable mention to The Luddite which Ian (Specimen, used to apprentice there) has been making since at least the 90's:

MG_0745-LB.jpg

Very quirky idea indeed.

That actually is not a half bad looking guitar . Starting with the nicely figured maple top, triple P90's, ABR-1 bridge, and stop tail . I bet it doesn't sound half bad ?

AA00475Bassman

The p90 triple pickup does very little for me , shades of B&G I’ll pass .

If Gibson was to build a GT or LPC I think I would have to have one !

GoldTopBunny

They DO exist, and were discussed here before. Not sure about the LPC above, but this is not a shopped pic:

R7No-Cut.jpg

Plus Pat Smear had one made, there are vids of him playing it onstage.

wow! do you have the link to the vids? or how do look for them? im interested in seeing that!

Cliff Gress

I've not seen a sinlge cut MM in person so if the neck construction is the same on the single/dc MMs, then maybe the extra mass of mahogany does make a tonal difference. Weren't single cut Juniors more sought after for tone than their double cut counterparts?

deytookerjaabs

That actually is not a half bad looking guitar . Starting with the nicely figured maple top, triple P90's, ABR-1 bridge, and stop tail . I bet it doesn't sound half bad ?

They sound great but aren't in the Les Paul vein so much, kind of their own thing. Also, he builds'em truss rod-less and takes all the extra steps to assure long term stability. Not production guitars though, each one is a new scratch build.

Big Al

I've not seen a sinlge cut MM in person so if the neck construction is the same on the single/dc MMs, then maybe the extra mass of mahogany does make a tonal difference. Weren't single cut Juniors more sought after for tone than their double cut counterparts?

The very first version doublecut MM was a singlecut with a matching cutaway added on the bass bout. Except for the cutaway they are identical. Jrs are completely different. The joint and necks are quite different. Very different builds and not comparable from a strict cutaway viewpoint.

I've owned many, many Jrs and MMs. Still have a bunch. You cannot find a tonal difference between similar MMs. Try a bunch of same weight AND same neck profile, Single and Doublecut MkI & MkII MM's with slim 60 profile necks sound similar and I've yet to find anyone who can tell 'em apart by tone. Same for MMDs with similar necks.

Singlecut Jrs are more desirable for their Les Paul shape and being first version rather than tone, IMO. They do tend to sound brighter than double cut 58-61 Jrs too my ears but I'd not say better or worse though I find them excellent, if not the same. So the different neck joint, longer neck, free of the heel, jumbo frets post 58 and slimmer profiles along with a different body make for a slightly less bright and snappy sounding guitar on average, but they are not the exact same guitars with just a cutaway difference.

The main thing is there are guitars that are identical with one cutaway or a matching mirror cutaway double. The Melody Makers and Heritage Les Paul types have such models. Gary Branzell made some double cut Bursts for Pat Travers in the late 70's/early 80's which Gibson latter did for Pat. I remember how the tone remained the same as single cuts and it was these that made me zero in on neck joint construction as a major tone factor.

I do not believe there is any tone benefit to a non cutaway Les Paul. I see it as a fashion statement and have no desire for one at all.

Last edited:

MeHereNow

I saw Gary Clark jt earlier this year at the Holland Bluesfestival with a guitar similair to the B&G and Luddite models.
No idea what that guitar is though..

Edit: i found it, it's a Wide Sky P125.. never heard of it though.

[h=1][/h]