• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why I learned to play guitar. Because women.

Texas Blues

Since I was born.

I was an entertainer.

Wanted attention.

Wanted to be somebody.

Playing clarinet in 1969 in 6th grade.

Trying to get next to Maureen Bondy wasn't cutting it.

I sucked.

Later I tried piano.

I sucked even more.

And then.

I discovered.

At 17.

If I could learn guitar.

Even if I was crappy.

They might like me.

They would pay attention to me.

Guess what?

They did!

Even as a crappy guitar player!

I'm still a crappy guitar player.

But got dang.

The women.

Here's a crappy guitar player.

And look how the women dance!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DgDy1SQ6hnw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Sure I wanted to be Jimmy and Billy G.

Play like SRV and EVH.

Make music.

But really.

I was never even close.

Musician wise.

And I still suck a little bit.

But...

I did it all for the nookie.

So tell us your story.

deytookerjaabs

I suppose there are still women out there attracted to guitar players...it's just a shame about the menopause thing.

Billy Porter

Our singer always says that we don't get knickers thrown at us...…...just Tena-ladies :laugh2:

Last edited:

fakejake

Great idea for a thread!
For me it was the guitar sound on Nevermind and seeing Nirvana in heavy rotation on MTV. That was before I was interested in girls, but I was just extremely drawn to that whole grunge vibe.

renderit

Umm...

Well, I can't dance...

And I'm generally too wet to plow...

And then you gave away my secret.

A nerd becomes a bad boy behind a guitar.

Brian Krashpad

48962907967_22a4e3a397_z.jpg

Somebody ​had to post this.

Big Al

I had no choice.

I was born with Rock n Roll in 1955. Mom had me when she was 18.

She loved Elvis, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and the rest of those holligans and the racket they made. The record player was on all day. Or the radio.

I was bathed in music.

Dad was a hillbilly. From Kentucky, he played guitar, as did all his brothers. Bluegrass and C&W, Western Swing and Honky Tonk. Bill Monroe, Carter Family, Flatt & Skruggs, Hank Williams, George Jones, Cash, Buck and the rest of those hellraisers.

When Dad came home, it was Country time. On the stereo or the radio.

Saturday mornings Mom moved all the furniture in the front room and we'd dance to Dick Clarks American Bandstand, my little feet never touched the ground, hanging on and whirling to the music.

I loved it.

That beat! That swing! It became the rhythm of my life, a mighty pulse stamped into every fibre of my young being.

And the thing I could not ignore, the thing I found so compeling and irresistibly attractive, was the guitar. Acoustic, electric, hollow or solid. GUITAR!!!!

I couldn't keep my hands or eyes off them. My ears were tuned to them. My mind was focused on them.

GUITAR! GUITAR!! GUIT GOD DAMN AR!!!!!!!

Watched the Beatles, live, on Ed Sullivan and my world changed forever! Kids everywhere suddenly wanted to be a musican. Bands formed overnight. The 60's formed me. My sensibilities altered in a Technicolor explosion of youth culture. GUITAR!!

I had no choice.

I had to be part of the music. Playing music has been the most joyful, meaningful part of my life. Playing music with other musicians, interacting and weaving a sonic tapestry of rhythm, harmony heart and mind, expressions of life.

I play guitar. I had no choice.

Bruce R

I always tell people I learned to play guitar because I couldn't dance!

Don

I just wanted to play the blues with my friends though, when I was about 20, I had a girl over and played for her and she said she never knew anyone who could play like that and it turned out to have benefits.

GeraintGuitar

Because if your doing it right all the girls wannna sh#g you and all the blokes wanna be you ! ( some of the blokes wanna sleep with you too but that aint my thing )
Theres guitar player and then theres Guitarists .
And i love Being a British guitarist because its better to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a big pond .
Love all you americans though , you lot are nutters and its great !:)

J.D.

Heck yeah.

I'll quote I think a guy from Poison...

"We never wanted to be musicians, we wanted to be rock stars"

jimmi

Music had a net loss effect on women for me. Only time it was helpful were college frat parties with covers and a lot of free beer. Otherwise, I don’t like it play pop music so that limits the female audience. Most of the girls that were there were with boyfriends. The ones that weren’t were usually sketchy.

Texas Blues

Music had a net loss effect on women for me. Only time it was helpful were college frat parties with covers and a lot of free beer. Otherwise, I don’t like it play pop music so that limits the female audience. Most of the girls that were there were with boyfriends. The ones that weren’t were usually sketchy.

Well.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8V_hCqO6UQs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>