• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What would you pay for 55' Les Paul Special with many issues?!

agogetr

Oddly enough, I actually don't want an intact LP Special. I've been looking for one with either a tunamatic bridge or drill holes from a Bigsby so I can install a Bigsby without damaging a clean vintage instrument. I play a vintage Tele with a Bigbsy as well. It's just personal preference and I think they happen to look pretty killer on a LP Special.

This is not a guitar I'm looking to resell at some point. It fits my needs pretty great (besides the headstock). I personally have not seen a LP special sell for less than $5k lately unless it was basically gutted and repainted.
if it really comes down to the last dollar then you have to pay top dollar for a busted guitar. and that headstock break is pretty nasty. it looks like the break on my 64 strat that is one of my best strats but i bought it cheap

El Gringo

Oddly enough, I actually don't want an intact LP Special. I've been looking for one with either a tunamatic bridge or drill holes from a Bigsby so I can install a Bigsby without damaging a clean vintage instrument. I play a vintage Tele with a Bigbsy as well. It's just personal preference and I think they happen to look pretty killer on a LP Special.

This is not a guitar I'm looking to resell at some point. It fits my needs pretty great (besides the headstock). I personally have not seen a LP special sell for less than $5k lately unless it was basically gutted and repainted.
Maybe try a Gibson Custom Shop LP Special , here's why , less money and you will not be forever altering a vintage Gibson .

Icandrive55

Well, I think it bears repeating that I have already purchased this guitar :) I know it's possible to get a very clean one for $7k. I just happen to not want a very clean one.

While I could purchase a custom shop guitar (for not much less,) I don't think that can ever be quite as inspiring as playing a first year LP Special. I won't be causing any further damage to this one either. I plan on using a vibramate by the guitar strap on the back and using the existing screw holes behind the bridge to mount the Bigbsy. Even if I didn't like tremelos, I think a guitar would be better off having one than a bunch of holes on it.

Even with all its issues, something spoke to me about this one. I weirdly like that the headstock is broken. This is a guitar that has been through a number, which I can rather relate to!

latestarter

Someone please show me a clean 55 for $7k right now.

Edit: Also, Id like to see an original finish 55 with a repaired headstock for say, $4k...

People are so hung up on buying at the lowest point here. Like it’s the only consideration. Availability, timing, personal feel, back story....price is fluid, and personal subjective aspects play to that.

Last edited:

Icandrive55

Edit: Also, Id like to see an original finish 55 with a repaired headstock for say, $4k...

People are so hung up on buying at the lowest point here. Like it’s the only consideration. Availability, timing, personal feel, back story....price is fluid, and personal subjective aspects play to that.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

There are cleaner versions for around $7k but they will definitely still have some issues. Not a 55, but a 58 recently sold for around 7k that had a tunamatic bridge, upgraded electronics, refret etc.

I think $5k was a very fair price to pay for this. Like I had mentioned, I'm sure I could have pushed him a couple hundred lower but I didn't have a good feeling about doing that. I too have not seen anything like you describe for $4k. Not in today's market.

edwina

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

There are cleaner versions for around $7k but they will definitely still have some issues. Not a 55, but a 58 recently sold for around 7k that had a tunamatic bridge, upgraded electronics, refret etc.

I think $5k was a very fair price to pay for this. Like I had mentioned, I'm sure I could have pushed him a couple hundred lower but I didn't have a good feeling about doing that. I too have not seen anything like you describe for $4k. Not in today's market.

I just bought a ‘56 TV special for well under $7000 ; 100%.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Congrats! I love the sound of the neck P90 on Specials. Don't know quite why it sounds so bluesy and lonesome to me, but it does. Play it in great health.

All that said, I believe there is now a bigsby adapter for wraptail bridges...

agogetr

theres a doublecut on veverb right now for 4500 it looks really cool

latestarter

That deserves its own photos then please! Where did you get it? If you do I’ll share pics of my Specials.

I dunno, I see these price arguments all the time. They’re worth very little.

good on you op. Enjoy that guitar.

Last edited:

agogetr

hey ed, what does it sound like? i know pickups were handwound.. i have a 56tv and it sounds like a strat! freaky. none of my other ones or 12 juniors do. real trebly like a strat! and yours?

Reno_1ted

Very cool guitar, decent price, meets your needs, cant go too wrong really. Once she arrives, enjoy ! :salude

edwina

That deserves its own photos then please! Where did you get it? If you do I’ll share pics of my Specials.

I dunno, I see these price arguments all the time. They’re worth very little.

good on you op. Enjoy that guitar.

I got very lucky and had an old friend sell me back a very cool 1957 TV Special that I had sold him about 12 years ago. I’m into it for about $5500 - $6000 as I bought 2 guitars back. Here is a quick photo.

j6arKHi.jpg

Icandrive55

I got very lucky and had an old friend sell me back a very cool 1957 TV Special that I had sold him about 12 years ago. I’m into it for about $5500 - $6000 as I bought 2 guitars back. Here is a quick photo.

j6arKHi.jpg
That is a beauty! Glad you were able to get the guitar back. Hopefully, for keeps! I don't know too much about what differentiates between different year of 50's LP Specials. I know they switched over to bumblebee capacitors, which isn't really a difference. I did always like that raised toggle switch ring on the 58's. It's kind of unique to that guitar.

agogetr

its gone. theres another one up for 4700. i wonder if 4k could buy it?
in my elderly years i have gotten better at starting low on offers to purchase.i could have been a tough buyer many times when i was younger and was not. i must say though some times it came back around with repeat business that was better yet.
Could you post a link please?

Icandrive55

Tone report!

I have to say, I am pretty blown away by this guitar. For me, it is easily worth the price I paid. Our jaws kind of dropped when we opened the case. It's really beautiful in person.

The neck on this guitar is unreal. I was a bit worried it was going to be gigantic like some of the 2019 models I played. It's not though. It feels really ergonomic. I get the sense these necks were done more by feel than to a spec.

The guitar overall just feels more solid than any modern guitar I have played. The intonation is perfect and there are no quirky areas in the neck to play on. Everything is seamless. I just don't think they make instruments like this any more. I've never played a custom shop guitar that felt as good or was constructed as well.

The P90's are aggressive but not overly quacky. They are really well balanced and articulate. On some Specials I've played, I found myself liking the neck pickup a lot more than the bridge. Not on this one. It just has such a wide variety of sounds and is very responsive to tone adjustment.

Some small issues I came across... the volume knob on the bridge shorts out when turned all the way up to 10. I have to back it off a little or the volume cuts out. The toggle switch is reversed but that's pretty common. There seems to be a slight problem with the input jack as well. There's a lot of extra noise that drops out if I hold my hand against the cable. The frets are almost gone but it plays surprisingly well. I thought it would be buzzing all over the place but it doesn't. It just feels a little weird pressing up so closely against the fretboard.

brandtkronholm

Tone report!

I have to say, I am pretty blown away by this guitar. For me, it is easily worth the price I paid. Our jaws kind of dropped when we opened the case. It's really beautiful in person.

The neck on this guitar is unreal. I was a bit worried it was going to be gigantic like some of the 2019 models I played. It's not though. It feels really ergonomic. I get the sense these necks were done more by feel than to a spec.

The guitar overall just feels more solid than any modern guitar I have played. The intonation is perfect and there are no quirky areas in the neck to play on. Everything is seamless. I just don't think they make instruments like this any more. I've never played a custom shop guitar that felt as good or was constructed as well.

The P90's are aggressive but not overly quacky. They are really well balanced and articulate. On some Specials I've played, I found myself liking the neck pickup a lot more than the bridge. Not on this one. It just has such a wide variety of sounds and is very responsive to tone adjustment.

Some small issues I came across... the volume knob on the bridge shorts out when turned all the way up to 10. I have to back it off a little or the volume cuts out. The toggle switch is reversed but that's pretty common. There seems to be a slight problem with the input jack as well. There's a lot of extra noise that drops out if I hold my hand against the cable. The frets are almost gone but it plays surprisingly well. I thought it would be buzzing all over the place but it doesn't. It just feels a little weird pressing up so closely against the fretboard.

Awesome!
The issues you've mentioned are easy fixes. The bridge volume might just need some lubrication and some playing time to return it to 100%. The frets are now at your discretion and a chance to really make the instrument yours.

In defense of the modern Gibson reissues and custom shop instruments, they are every bit as good (sometimes better) than their classic era counterparts - but I know exactly what you mean about the look, neck, sound and feel of your '55! There's just something about the originals, especially when a good one turns up, that cannot be replicated by any modern recreation. Money well spent!
Enjoy! :dude:

Icandrive55

The volume knob problem is a little trickier than that, I think. There's sort of a "bump" when you turn it to 10 and then it turns a little past. That's when the volume cuts out. It's not a smooth turn from 0 to 10. I'm not sure what's causing that.

I would ideally replace the frets. My concern is I don't know that I trust anyone to do a perfect job. Right now, there is no buzzing or fretting out anywhere on the fretboard. I think the odds of having someone refret without any issues are slim. Not to mention, potential damage to the neck. If I knew someone in LA who could do an impeccable job, I'd do it. All the techs I've worked with have been pretty sloppy and almost always damage something.