• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

Big Al

My guess is a refin 75-77 with the serial sticker painted over and an incorrect or partial number stamped through the sticker! It should have 8 digits but the sticker gives it away!
http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html

I disagree. It may be a refin but it is early 70's Kalamazoo with wonky amp knobs. Cavity is most likely old plunge rout without grounding plate and should have modified tenon. The oval may be a result of refin attempt to salvage original #, idk, it is odd but not a 75-77 decal.

maxwedge

I disagree. It may be a refin but it is early 70's Kalamazoo with wonky amp knobs. Cavity is most likely old plunge rout without grounding plate and should have modified tenon. The oval may be a result of refin attempt to salvage original #, idk, it is odd but not a 75-77 decal.
Need pictures of the pickup, cavitys and pot numbers but if the number is legit it's a 74-75 here https://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx and http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html.
Where's the made in USA stamp? If it's later it would have been on the sticker.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Thank you very much for your answers, The mast is seen in the cavity of the soul the red color of mahogany, it is not maple. I am confused with the variety of answers, but before making any offer I will disassemble the pickups and electronics cavity to photograph the potentiometers. thank you

I have no idea what this sentence means [the mast? :wah] but the above photo clearly shows maple in the truss rod cavity. :ganz

Trans-Am

This is getting interesting, with all different conflicting take. Could this be a hack job that once was a real thing with all the other parts replaced/added or?:hmm

rafalynch

Thank you very much, I think that neck wood is mahogany, the color is reddish and not clear like the maple, I have a custom paul 79 of 3 pieces of maple on the neck and it is another color. I think the guitar has been repainted and I am afraid that the reason is because of the breakage of the headstock and its subsequent repair. Next Saturday I will go see her in person and take pictures of the more detailed pieces. If the price is reasonable, I may buy it. Thank you

rafalynch

This is my Gibson 79 ... you can see the difference in the color of the wood of the mahogany body and that of the maple neck.

Big Al

There's a lot of examples of (mostly) early/mid 70's gibsons with exact that same oval around the ser.nr. to be found on the web.
So, coincidence, or a method used by gibson to restore a factory flaw when stamping the serial number perhaps?

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/113538-1973-1975-oval-serial-stamping-what-worker-did-these/

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/145231/odd-gibson-serial-number-marking

Thank you for that info. I've owned many 73-75 Gibbys and sold more and never saw that. I do know that number isn't stamped over a decal though.

MeHereNow

Thank you for that info. I've owned many 73-75 Gibbys and sold more and never saw that. I do know that number isn't stamped over a decal though.

There were several threads on other boards as well about the exact same anomalies, none of which came to a closing conclusion about what/how/who regarding the ovals.
And maybe there never will.

Best shot we have is asking LPF's member StringsJr.
If 1 man could know the background info, chances are he knows it.

Big Al

There were several threads on other boards as well about the exact same anomalies, none of which came to a closing conclusion about what/how/who regarding the ovals.
And maybe there never will.

Best shot we have is asking LPF's member StringsJr.
If 1 man could know the background info, chances are he knows it.

Way before his time and maybe wrong factory. From what I saw at Kalamazoo in the late 70's, operations weren't set in stone. Machinery goes down, guitars need to get made and out come backups. Kalamazoo was an old factory with old school production ethics from the "get 'er done" school. Not common, but it did happen enough that those of us who have an interest in the build process and production machinery and methods have found authentic oddities enough to know you can't always count on stable production signatures.

I've seen wonky pickup routs, cavity shapes, missing widows peaks etc., etc., etc. Nickle and chrome on the same guitar, paf and Ttop bobbins on the same pickup, oval border stamped serial #'s, ..... most always on Kalamazoo made instruments. You cannot put all the onus on a single spec as far as authenticity.

Trans-Am

Way before his time and maybe wrong factory. From what I saw at Kalamazoo in the late 70's, operations weren't set in stone. Machinery goes down, guitars need to get made and out come backups. Kalamazoo was an old factory with old school production ethics from the "get 'er done" school. Not common, but it did happen enough that those of us who have an interest in the build process and production machinery and methods have found authentic oddities enough to know you can't always count on stable production signatures.

I've seen wonky pickup routs, cavity shapes, missing widows peaks etc., etc., etc. Nickle and chrome on the same guitar, paf and Ttop bobbins on the same pickup, oval border stamped serial #'s, ..... most always on Kalamazoo made instruments. You cannot put all the onus on a single spec as far as authenticity.

Now " B " Stock is another story nowhere near this post and worth the buy these days really. The Kalamazoo sure had it's heyday before things went south on them.:rolleyes:

That serial number oval markings threw a curve ball :peace2

rafalynch

In the end I bought him, the price has been very reasonable and I could not resist. I upload photos of the pitenciometers in case you can help me date them. Thank you

upload images