• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PAF mounted in to wood

au_rick

Has anyone tried mounting PAF's directly into the body (wood) of a Les Paul and did in affect the tone ?

duaneflowers

The Lee Roy Parnell Signature '57 Les Paul Goldtop does just that... he describes the result much better than I could...

MeHereNow

I could'nt make out of the video if Lee's pickups are directly mounted to the wood.
They have the so called "big block" with the polepiece holes, but is the pickup resting on the block or is it mounted TO the wood?

Best PAF's comment ever in this video though!

4:11 till 4:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVgr20cYHg&t=251s

duaneflowers

I could'nt make out of the video if Lee's pickups are directly mounted to the wood.
They have the so called "big block" with the polepiece holes, but is the pickup resting on the block or is it mounted TO the wood?

Best PAF's comment ever in this video though!

4:11 till 4:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVgr20cYHg&t=251s

The pickups rest tightly against the block while being held in place by the mounting rings... like a regular Les Paul. The difference being that interaction with the wood that he talks about. Ron engineers his pickups a little differently than most (or rather he reverse engineered them) to get the sound he was after (as opposed to making them in the time honored 'cloning' traditional) which gives them a transparency, chiminess and bloom normally reserved for real PAFs. That big block just adds to the sustain and that transparency allows the sound of the wood to shine through. Lee Roy points out that all PAFs sound different... add to that that all guitars acoustically sound subtly (or not) different as well... and with the transparency found in the PAF (hell, they were just microphones) the combinations are what make those bursts so amazing... IMHO. I wish Gibson had big blocks in more models... they really are unique, and sound awesome!!

MeHereNow

So it's basicly the same way they did the early 50's goldtop P90 mounting, but on the LRP LP it's accommodated for humbuckersize.
Though the early P90 was resting on the wood ánd screwed to the wood.
Interesting.