• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

G String Choking at 12 Fret and Up

rick c

Ah, I think I see it now! As the truss rod is tightened the neck levels out in the middle but the nut drops some in relationship to the bridge, creating less clearance past the 12th fret. Is that right? In that case you would raise the bridge some to compensate.

Thanks!:salude

If there's too much relief and the bridge is raised to "compensate" the guitar will be a bitch to play and will still buzz/choke up high at "normal" action. The correct thing to do is to straighten the neck with only very light relief then adjust the bridge to the preferred action. If there is still excessive buzzing/choking then it's likely that a fret leveling is required.

Doc Sausage

I just fought this for three days on a B string after I changed strings and disassembled the ABR components to clean it. Adjusted the neck, the bridge height and everything else the so-called experts say to do.

I finally moved the saddle about 3 turns towards the headstock, effectively raising the string height and viola! Gone. Yeah, the intonation might be slightly off but if you're bending whole steps, who cares?

Hope this helps a brother out.

Any Name You Wish

Before you do anything else put a new set of 10's on there. Going to 11's can create problems - you'll have more tension on the neck and the nut and saddle slots will not be wide enough on certain strings. If you really want 11's on there you will have to go through the whole set-up from scratch including nut and saddle slots. Put 10's back on and you'll see the problem go away (unless you've already made a lot of adjustments to truss rod and bridge height).