• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Boutique Strat Pups

akstrat61

What are some of the better pups out there for Strats? I'm looking for a set for a guitar that was built for me many years ago. I tend to enjoy that out of phase quack, honk and pinch harmonics that I can only get with a Strat. Thanks for the help!:dude:

jb_abides

The company that has really surprised and impressed me with recent offerings is... Fender.

Agree. I would've suggested had the OP not specified "boutique"...

I have 51 Nocasters in a Tele, Vintage 65 in a Strat, both amazing sets :salude

sonar

Agree. I would've suggested had the OP not specified "boutique"...

I have 51 Nocasters in a Tele, Vintage 65 in a Strat, both amazing sets :salude

I really like the Vintage 65's. Maybe not a quacky pickup like the OP wants, but for Surf to early Hendrix it nails that veneer board tone.

akstrat61

Good suggestions!

I have a set of Wizz's in my Skinnerburst, love em.

I have another Strat with Jim Rolf pups, good for sure.

Lastly, the Fender Strat pups I have left me wanting more, just not there. MHO I do have a '51 Nocaster and I agree, the pups are killer!

Anyone here using Zexcoils or the Mojotone Quiet Coils?

El Gringo

Oh shit. That's gonna cost me...

They look pretty nice and they even have an option for a hotter bridge pickup in either the 63 or 64 set and has me seriously considering them for an alder body 57 reissue USA Stratocaster of mine that has okay tone with the Fat 50's pickups .

Texsunburst59

I have a '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH guitar I picked up last year.

I really loved the vintage toned V70 singles in the neck and the SSV humbucker in the bridge.

My son played the guitar a lot and really loved all the classic clean and ovdriven tones he was able to get with these pickups.

He's always been wanting a Fiesta Red Strat styled guitar, so I had one custom made for him.

The guitar included Roasted Flame neck, stainless steel frets, 10-12 compound radius neck, ash body, the V70 neck/middle, and SSV humbucker in the bridge.

These pickups actually sound way better in this custom build than they do in the Suhr guitar.

Here's some pics of the build.

48603594182_83daeeff0f_b.jpg

somebodyelseuk

If you're in the UK, Matt at Montys would be worth a call.
Best known round here for his PAF, but I believe Teles are his passion. I believe Mark Knopfler uses his pups, but whether that's PAF, Strat or Tele...?

garywright

I’ve had a set of Seymour Duncan antiquity Surf IIs in my 2k ‘57 ri for years ..they sound great and are very reasonably priced.

gmann

Check out Kleins and and read the descriptions carefully. They make many sets, some with minor variables, that make it easier to get exactly what you want. Also, you can't go wrong with Don Mare pickups. Talk to him on the phone, if you can accurately describe what you want he can make it.

latestarter

I'm using Q pickups in my Korina bodied Strat. They were advertised as hot Strat A5's, SRV style, and I had an extra bridge one wound at around 7.2-7.5. I love them. Clear, rich, as good as anything else I've heard including my pre CBS stuff. Price was remarkable too - maybe $135 including the extra bridge p/u.

AA00475Bassman

I'm using Q pickups in my Korina bodied Strat. They were advertised as hot Strat A5's, SRV style, and I had an extra bridge one wound at around 7.2-7.5. I love them. Clear, rich, as good as anything else I've heard including my pre CBS stuff. Price was remarkable too - maybe $135 including the extra bridge p/u.

I bought a Q dog ear P90 for my single cut JR very pleased!