• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Grover Mini Rotomatic - How to Remove?

BIG Dave

My 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins SST came stock with Grover Mini Rotomatics. While recently replacing the strings, I noticed the nut on the A-String tuner was loose. I tried tightening it however it just spun endlessly and wouldn’t tighten. I thought the nut for that tuner might be stripped and I would need to buy a new set of tuners so I could replace just the A-String tuner. I attempted to unscrew the nut and remove the tuner, however the nut spun endlessly and I wasn’t able to pull it away from the tuner body. I called the Grover company and they suggested cutting the tuner away with a hacksaw. Does anyone know of an alternative to hacksawing off the tuner?

J.D.

After removing the string from the tuner, if you remove the small mounting screw on the rear of the headstock, can you remove the tuner? If so, someone probably overtightened the bushing nut on the face of the guitar enough to break the tuner body.

BIG Dave

No, I tried that. I removed the small Philips screw from the back, but I still couldn’t remove the nut. It just spins but never comes off, preventing me from pulling the tuner out from the back of the headstock.

I’m beginning to think the Grover technician was correct, I’ll need to take a hacksaw to the tuner. Not looking forward to it!

(BTW, the Grover technician mentioned that if I mail them the remnants of the faulty tuner, they’ll mail me back a new matching tuner, which was good to hear that Grover stands behind a 30 year old product!)

J.D.

I'd suggest grabbing the nut with a pliers or vice grips and trying a bit of pull force before the hack saw. Maybe a pliers on the tuner body as well. It'll give.

J.D.

You can also try giving the string shaft tip a sharp hammer blow. This is a bit risky as you need to ensure the neck, especially behind the nut, doesn't take the force. The headstock must be well supported.

toxpert

Hopefully...using vice grips on the nut the provide outward force while turning will work.

The hacksaw treatment would require that the blade will fit between the faceplate washer and the nut. In case of a slip of the hand...precaution to protect the faceplate from collateral damage is a must. There are available various thin saw blades with fine teeth that might be better than hacksaw.

If sawing is not possible... the tuner can be disassembled while on the guitar...and the casting drilled out from the back to separate the threaded tube from the back. The disassembly will require pressing the tuner shaft out the back to push off the retainer cap that is pressed in place. This last alternative best performed in shop with press equipment, drill press, and ability to fabricate cauls to control stress on the headstock wood.