• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best way to clean a flying V tailpiece?

Big Daddy B

Purchased a 59' reissue V. The tailpiece is pretty tarnished and not really in an attractive way either. Is there a way to safely clean it? Removing it appears to be a bitch and trying to find a replacement would be challenging at best. Don't really want to change it. Just clean it.

xlarge.jpg

PaulD

If it is just surface tarnish then a good metal polish (Brasso or similar) should remove it. Removal from the guitar is simple if it needs to be removed, just remove the strings and undo the three screws that hold it in place.

Big Daddy B

If it is just surface tarnish then a good metal polish (Brasso or similar) should remove it. Removal from the guitar is simple if it needs to be removed, just remove the strings and undo the three screws that hold it in place.

They're not screws. It's either rivets or nails holding it in place. This adds to my hesitance to just buy a replacement.

Update, I actually just removed the tailpiece myself. I use some dental floss underneath to life it up and the nails popped right now. The brasso seemed to remove the plating but Gibson had sent me the link to the place that does plating for them. I tried to see if I could just flip it over but the bottom plating looked bad as well. I'll just get it redone.

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

They're not screws. It's either rivets or nails holding it in place. This adds to my hesitance to just buy a replacement.

They're basically "nails" holding it down.

Don't remove it.

I would use masking tape around all the edges, then use a mild cleaner. Don't use anything harsh or you could remove the gold.

Big Daddy B

They're basically "nails" holding it down.

Don't remove it.

I would use masking tape around all the edges, then use a mild cleaner. Don't use anything harsh or you could remove the gold.

Actually I removed it. Was super easy. They were nails that popped right out. I am looking into just getting it professionally replated now since there were some worn spots to start with. Glad I could clean all the crud out from underneath as you will see.

xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg

marshall1987

I owned a similar Gibson Historic Flying V Korina, 1958 reissue. The "V" tailpiece had very poor gold plating from the factory. I'm not even sure if it is gold plating, or some other metal.:dang

Unfortunately there is little you can do to restore the original luster and plating. I actually sent my Flying V's tailpiece to Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN to have it professionally plated in 24K gold. They did a fantastic job and it only cost me about $125.00, plus shipping both ways. It was a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the Gibson factory gold tailpiece that most of these guitars ship with.

Give them a call if you choose to go the repeating route. Realistically this is about the only option you have if you desire a nice looking tailpiece that matches the gold hardware on your Flying V.

https://www.advancedplating.com/site/

Big Daddy B

I owned a similar Gibson Historic Flying V Korina, 1958 reissue. The "V" tailpiece had very poor gold plating from the factory. I'm not even sure if it is gold plating, or some other metal.:dang

Unfortunately there is little you can do to restore the original luster and plating. I actually sent my Flying V's tailpiece to Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN to have it professionally plated in 24K gold. They did a fantastic job and it only cost me about $125.00, plus shipping both ways. It was a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the Gibson factory gold tailpiece that most of these guitars ship with.

Give them a call if you choose to go the repeating route. Realistically this is about the only option you have if you desire a nice looking tailpiece that matches the gold hardware on your Flying V.

https://www.advancedplating.com/site/

Thanks for your post. That's actually who I reached out to as that is who Gibson Custom Shop recommend. Looks like they might actually sell the tailpiece itself and a number of other parts. Gibson sent me their e-Catalog. I have emailed Frank per the link on their site. Glad to hear you got good results at a reasonable price. What was the turnaround time?

marshall1987

Thanks for your post. That's actually who I reached out to as that is who Gibson Custom Shop recommend. Looks like they might actually sell the tailpiece itself and a number of other parts. Gibson sent me their e-Catalog. I have emailed Frank per the link on their site. Glad to hear you got good results at a reasonable price. What was the turnaround time?

I recall it took about 2 weeks from the time I mailed the tailpiece to when I got it back. I'm right next door to Tennessee (Virginia) so shipping time was minimal. They got right on it with no delay. Outstanding customer service IMO. They will advise you to apply a protective coating to the part which I think was lacquer.

Big Daddy B

I recall it took about 2 weeks from the time I mailed the tailpiece to when I got it back. I'm right next door to Tennessee (Virginia) so shipping time was minimal. They got right on it with no delay. Outstanding customer service IMO. They will advise you to apply a protective coating to the part which I think was lacquer.

Parts are on the way to OP. I also ended up sending my bridge and thumbwheels too to get done properly. Their prices are very reasonable on turnkey hardware as well. May place a separate order down the road. Non wire ABR-1 was like $20. V tailpiece $25 new.